Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   St. Mark's wall-hanging - unwashed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/st-marks-wall-hanging-unwashed-t220375.html)

Sallyjane 04-30-2013 10:12 AM

St. Mark's wall-hanging - unwashed

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here it is...flaws and all. It is a 10 footer :) I was so nervous to wash it last night, I told my husband and son that I had to take a picture before it fell apart in the washing machine ;) Too many hours spent on this one to not have a record of the finished product. But it did not fall apart, though some of my applique lifted a bit. Also, for the record, those light blue wash-away markers do not always wash away :(

I used wool batting for the first time and other than the mess of little white fibers that kept creeping up and over onto the top of my quilt, I really liked it. The little fibers did not come through the fabric like polyester batting can, but just shifted/transferred from the outside edges...think of a furry cat brushing against your quilt top. I kept a lint brush right at the sewing machine, and would brush each section right before quilting. The loft and softness made it worth the extra step.

I used the Red Hot Piping tool for the piping and binding.

I will try to post the washed version tomorrow.

I finished this just in time for our local quilt show which is this weekend!!!

lizzyq 04-30-2013 10:24 AM

That is sooo gorgeous! Lovely color blending and precision in piecing! Please show us the ribbons you are sure to win with it.

Betsy in MA

sniktasemaj 04-30-2013 10:25 AM

Beautiful. it looks like a window in a Cathedral.

Pollytink 04-30-2013 10:25 AM

Wow! That is spectacular! So beautiful! will watch for the after-washing pics!!

QuiltnNan 04-30-2013 10:31 AM

spectacular!!!

Lady Jane 04-30-2013 10:45 AM

OOOOH WOW. That is so very petty.

Tweety2911 04-30-2013 10:48 AM

Woowie, that is fantastic!!! The blue marking should never be ironed otherwise they become permanent. I find that I have to spritz it a few times to get rid of the blue mark especially if it is a dark mark.

ube quilting 04-30-2013 10:53 AM

It is beautiful. Lovely colors.
peace

CharlotteO 04-30-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pollytink (Post 6036166)
Wow! That is spectacular! So beautiful! will watch for the after-washing pics!!

Stupendous quilting. Absolutely beautiful. As my sister said, "I couldn't do that in a "hunerd million lessons".:thumbup:

Sallyjane 04-30-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 (Post 6036205)
Woowie, that is fantastic!!! The blue marking should never be ironed otherwise they become permanent. I find that I have to spritz it a few times to get rid of the blue mark especially if it is a dark mark.

I think that is where I went wrong Helen. I was not using my head!!! I marked the back of all my pieces to keep them straight, using the blue marker. I used the paperless piecing method which requires a lot of ironing. I don't think most people will even notice, but I can see it through the light yellow and lightest green pieces. It is not going to spoil my joy of having this completed!!!