Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   started this and do not like it help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/started-do-not-like-help-t38592.html)

ddeew 03-04-2010 01:31 PM

The polka dot sashing doesn't quite work. What about replacing the sashing with a deep gold or dark brown fabric? And perhaps a narrower sashing width. You could use the polka dot sashing strips for the binding instead?

Deb G 03-04-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Honestly, I'm not thrilled with it either, because the dots on the fabric aren't straight.

What about using black sashing to showcase the other fabrics? The squares are such beautiful fabrics.

I have to agree. I think black would be an color choice to make the colors pop.

Marjpf 03-04-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
It may not necessarily be the pattern in the fabric but how it is cut. If you cut it so it was straight when you sewed it to the other blocks it may look better. As it stands it gives it a curved,lopsided look. just my opinion of course :-)
Hugs
April

I agree - it's the curve that bothers me the most. Since the fabric in the squares is rather plain, either continue with plain, or go for a really bold and colorful print.

Boston1954 03-04-2010 04:45 PM

I would take the strip out and just put the pretty blocks together. Save the strip for something else.

Rachel 03-04-2010 04:52 PM

I would take the sashing out too. I really like the other fabrics, but that one isn't working for me. You can use a different fabric, or just put the blocks together. Can't wait to see it finished!

4dogs 03-04-2010 05:05 PM

you might try a narrow strip in between instead of this wide one..and a more subdued color, or the black as was suggested..a solid color would probably be the best, to show off the pretty blocks. I know I have taken things apart when they just dont go well together..in cross stitch group, we call it "Frogging".... you know, rip rip rip.....

katiebear1 03-04-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by bj
What if you took the sashing out of the middle and just put the squares together with the seams offset? Or try a sashing strip that is not so busy. The polkadots seem to clash with your squares. 'Course, it could be one of those combos that doesn't seem to come together until you have a bigger chunk of it done. Just keep at it. Or put it aside for a couple of days and let the possibilities percolate in your brain a bit.

I agree, I think it would look good with the off set seams and no sashing,Or maybe off set the seams and still use a sashing but make it really narrow and a dark color (navy or black) That would make the colors really pop

littlehud 03-04-2010 09:16 PM

It seems to have too much movement for me. I agree a black strip may work better.

Ditter43 03-04-2010 09:50 PM

I personally would like to see the strip with a pattern since the blocks are solids. You could use a floral strip or for a more masculine look, use a plaid strip being careful to keep the pattern lined up. Or you could use a different color between each row of blocks.....lots of possibilities..

Ditter

mytwopals 03-05-2010 01:16 PM

The sashing strip might work better, if it were half the size? You could also maybe add the same sashing across the width of the quilt say every other square? Sort of like a 4-patch with sashing all around.