Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Started grandmothers flower garden (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/started-grandmothers-flower-garden-t83688.html)

Grandma Peg 12-19-2010 12:31 PM

Keep us posted as to how you are doing. They are beautiful quilts.

Samara in OH 12-19-2010 12:39 PM

I had some plastic templates, but can't decide if I like them. I decided to use the plastic for my yellow centers. I have some more paper one's coming in the mail any day now.

Originally Posted by LindaR
I love the fabric, I got mine out to work on this winter too...are you using the plastic templates? I am and it sure keeps things sharp...

auntjo 12-19-2010 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Keep the pics coming as you progress.

I called mine "my moving quilt" as I began to hand piece it as we began the process of boxing up our house & my daycare business in California for a move to Arizona. We ended up in a rental for 6 months before the house we were buying was ready to close & it kept me sane w/the whole thing. I had some green print fabric that was given to me many years ago after a friend of my mother's died that ended up being perfect for the different set of this quilt. Other than that it was all scraps from my kids clothing and garment sewing days and finished out at 108"x108". Used cardboard templates, stored cut pieces in a see-thru plastic shoe box, and kept the finished flowers in an unused pizza box. From beginning to hand-quilting end it took 2 years - & I made 2 king-sized shams to match.

Barbara Lee 12-19-2010 01:23 PM

I'm inpressed with you fabric setup for this project. Can you tell me what size your sqs. are for what size hex. I'm going to be traveling and if I could set up something like you have it would be so much easier then just scraps in a bag and cutting as I go. Thanks

Vanuatu Jill 12-19-2010 02:27 PM

Wow-Cyniree-I love your story of how your's got started-and it's the first I've seen in one color-way-it's beautiful! Also, Auntjo, I think yours is amazing-very old fashioned looking-I made a quilt for a lady who just lost her husband that had the english paper pieced flowers (and it was my first attempt at it) but only surrounding a central appliqued panel. I loved the process (I love hand-needle work!) and promised myself I would do it again-so far too many other patterns got in the way-but I sure want to do it now that I saw both of yours! Thanks to all 3 of you for the inspiration!

Vanuatu Jill 12-19-2010 02:32 PM

Actually, I remember as a kid making a similar type of pattern out of yo-yo's from fabric sample's my Uncle sent from his job in New York. He was a fabric buyer for a department store in the 50's & 60's (can't remember which one), but he used to send BOXES of the samples and I LOVED sitting there with my cardboard circle, drawing around it and cutting them out, then sewing around the circle and gathering them. I had hundreds in a big round had box (from my mom) waiting until SHE said I had enough to make a blanket (backed with flannel). Never had enough! I carted that hat box with me for about 50 years-even to Vanutu. It was stored in our container there for 20 years and when we cleaned it out to move back here last year, they were all mouldy and I had to throw them out!! I was so upset!

Judith Rae 12-19-2010 02:44 PM

Your off to a great start. Love your fabric choices. Please show us the finished quilt.

NUTMEG10 12-19-2010 02:51 PM

No cob web in your brain - you are so organized. Colors are beautiful. Can't wait to see is finished.

cbuchanan 12-19-2010 04:33 PM

Geez..... if you would gift me that box, i could get started immediately. Are you always this organized? I've wanted to get started on one of these quilts as a "do-in-the-car" project but I've never gotten around to making the template. Any suggestions?

fluffyme02 12-19-2010 04:47 PM

It is going to be gorgeous!!!!! Are you going to keep the yellow centers in all of them? My great grandmother had one. I hope to someday inherit it! I LOVE this pattern!!!!!!! :thumbup: