Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Starting the remake of an old quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/starting-remake-old-quilt-t225592.html)

Stitch124 07-11-2013 08:07 AM

Starting the remake of an old quilt

4 Attachment(s)
So I've finished the t-shirt quilt finally and starting on the remake of an old quilt. This old quilt had 12 embroidered Muppet Babies blocks that were not damaged by moths when the quilt was packed away years ago. The original quilt was made by my SIL for my #2 DD when she was born 27 yrs ago.

For her 28th birthday in Oct, I'm remaking the embroidered quilt squares into a new quilt with updated fabrics. Moths ate through the binding and wool blanket used as batting, but the embroidery was left 95% undamaged. Yeah!

Attached is a pic of the embroidered squares. This pattern is a variation of FABRIC CAFE's snowball quilt, except I'm alternating pinwheel blocks and the embroidered blocks. Thanks to Donna at FC for her help with the cutting directions, I can start working on this tonight. More pics to come. - stitch124

PS FYI - attached a pic of the completed t-shirt quilt and also a yellow brick road quilt I made for my sister for her birthday this month.

tessagin 07-11-2013 08:16 AM

The blocks look great on the graph. Anxious to see the completed quilt. your quilt looks great.

nanna-up-north 07-11-2013 08:42 AM

How exciting..... am anxious to see the finished quilt.... Your t-shirt and yellow brick road quilts looks super!!

grammysharon 07-11-2013 08:53 AM

I think the re-make will be gorgeous!!!!!

Daffy Daphne 07-11-2013 09:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Stitch124 (Post 6171798)
So I've finished the t-shirt quilt finally and starting on the remake of an old quilt. This old quilt had 12 embroidered Muppet Babies blocks that were not damaged by moths when the quilt was packed away years ago. The original quilt was made by my SIL for my #2 DD when she was born 27 yrs ago.

For her 28th birthday in Oct, I'm remaking the embroidered quilt squares into a new quilt with updated fabrics. Moths ate through the binding and wool blanket used as batting, but the embroidery was left 95% undamaged. Yeah!

This is so exciting, and I can tell you from experience that it will be very rewarding.

A few years ago I did the same thing with blocks from a quilt I'd made my middle daughter for her 15th birthday. After 25 years of use, the fabric surrounding the blocks was mostly in shreds but the embroidered blocks were almost intact. I took the quilt apart and remade it, as you plan to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423448[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]423449[/ATTACH]

Interesting that pinwheel blocks figure in both our remakes!

Daffy

Stitch124 07-11-2013 09:30 AM

Daffy -- When you quilted the embroidered blocks, did you do anything other than iron-on stabilizer on the blocks? Just wondering if they will need to be 'quilted' or an outline stitch around the embroidered areas....or leave it alone. What would you say?

Daffy Daphne 07-11-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 (Post 6171935)
Daffy -- When you quilted the embroidered blocks, did you do anything other than iron-on stabilizer on the blocks? Just wondering if they will need to be 'quilted' or an outline stitch around the embroidered areas....or leave it alone. What would you say?

I did quilt around the embroidery (which wasn't done in the original) to stabilize the blocks a little bit, and also on both sides of the red framing. There were three small holes--you may notice appliques of a butterfly, a partial mouse, and a bow on one of the cat's tails.

In the photo, the fabric of your embroidered blocks looks like it may be heavier than regular muslin. Is that true? I think that's why my blocks survived.

Diane007 07-11-2013 10:56 AM

very interesting
you will be busy :)

gsbuffalo 07-12-2013 01:44 AM

great job on using those blocks. what a great project

gabeway 07-12-2013 03:57 AM

Everything is looking good!