Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Still have lots of scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/still-have-lots-scraps-t285405.html)

quiltingshe 01-21-2017 10:43 AM

Still have lots of scraps

1 Attachment(s)
I could probably make 10 more quilts like this and still have scraps left. I used muslin as the base for each block, but that makes the quilt quite heavy. Next time I will use something more light weight. What have you used that works well?

ckcowl 01-21-2017 10:49 AM

I love your string quilt! I generally use thin, cheap muslin for my foundation. I don't mind the quilt being heavy, we like them warm.
Ive heard of people using used dryer sheets- those seem too flimsy to me, but I haven't tried them so I don't really know.

dorismae904 01-21-2017 11:08 AM

I also used muslin for my foundation, cheapest I can find. Tried one without batting and I prefer the ones with batting. Have you tried the pattern by Dodi Poulsen where she puts a kite shape in the middle and adds strips. I saw her do this on a F&P show with Patrick Lose. She used black with white polka dots for the kites. When I did it, I used yellow(since that is the color of stars) and it came out quite well. Well, not quilted yet but the top looks nice. You can keep on using your scraps but they never seem to be used up.

peaceandjoy 01-21-2017 11:14 AM

I love string quilts, and scrappy quilts of any kind. I've made two string quilts, one was on a muslin foundation, no batting and backed with a heavy flannel. It is quite warm, and I actually like the weight of it. The other was done with an intentional strip of black across the center of a square of paper. I used doodle pads from the dollar store that had been cut to the largest square possible from the page, and reduced stitch length. When the blocks were done, I removed paper foundation. Bonnie Hunter (quiltville.com) uses string piecing in many of her quilts, she uses pages from phone books as the foundation for the blocks.

maryb119 01-21-2017 11:36 AM

Great scrappy!! I also have a scrap box. I have made 2 scrappy quilts that took 4 yards each out of the box and I still can't get the lid on tight. I think they multiply at night...wink wink!

Tartan 01-21-2017 11:46 AM

​Cute scrappy! I have used phone book pages and trimmed to the size I want after pulling off the paper. If you are using a foundation fabric, I would look for a flimsy muslin. I seem to be able to find lots of those when I am really looking for muslin with good weight.

loisf 01-21-2017 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]566362[/ATTACH]I am making Bonnie Hunter's String-X quilt with my strings. I use recycled copier paper cut to the size block I want and a small stitch length. After the block is assembled, I just trim the strings to match the paper size and tear the paper off by folding it back on the seam line and then tearing. It works really well for me, and I have the satisfaction of reusing the waste paper.

QuiltnNan 01-21-2017 12:27 PM

the last ones i made were on phone book pages

QUILTNMO 01-21-2017 12:29 PM

very nice !!

QM 01-21-2017 12:39 PM

I have also used phone book pages for foundation, but my favorite way is to use squares of a non stretchy batting. This way, only minimal quilting is required. My 'new' bedroom overlooks an ugly shed, so I made a quick scrappy to cover the window.