Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Storm at Sea Doodle Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/storm-sea-doodle-quilt-t315752.html)

rryder 07-01-2021 09:44 AM

Storm at Sea Doodle Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,
Here's another one that I forgot to post. It's a doodle quilt based on the Storm at Sea block. It's 40" x 50"

Thanks for looking,
Rob

juliasb 07-01-2021 10:41 AM

This is fantastic! Great job on this one. Very unique. Thanks for sharing this beauty!

Tartan 07-01-2021 10:46 AM

Well done!

Doggramma 07-01-2021 10:46 AM

That’s really beautiful! It’s my kind of quilt!

Quiltwoman44 07-01-2021 11:13 AM

How in the world? that is beautiful!! wonderful work.

tallchick 07-01-2021 11:20 AM

Oh thats gorgeous! Do tell how you did it!

rryder 07-01-2021 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8494062)
Oh thats gorgeous! Do tell how you did it!

Thanks, everyone.

It started out as a thread doodle. I sandwiched two pieces of an old white sheet and sat down at my machine and started fmq doodle quilting using a black thread. Once I had all the organic shapes around the border, I decided that it reminded me of those antique maps that show oceans filled with sea monsters, etc. So of course, it had to have a Storm at Sea focus for the central portion. I quilted that with my straight ruler. Then I used Inktense pencils and fabric medium to color all the organic shapes- that took forever. I used dye and salt to paint the storm at sea section because I wanted to get a sparkly watery effect that salt sprinkled on wet dyed fabric will produce. Once the coloring was done I decided that it needed an outer border that tied in to the storm at sea sections so I added that border and quilted it. I also added another backing fabric because the inktense pencils had bled through and made a mess of the white back. Since I'd added another backing fabric, I decided it needed to be re-quilted. While re-quilting it, I used the opportunity to thicken some of the thread lines (like thread painting) in order to give more depth to the piece- particularly around the edge where the organic shapes overlap the Storm at Sea center. Then I decided that it needed something more, so I used Jaquard Lumiere paints in the outer border and also in a couple of places in the center to provide some opaque contrast with the more transparent colors in the rest of the quilt. I bound it using a batik that was in my stash.

All in all it took several months over a period of a couple of years to get it finished, but it was a lot of fun to do.

Rob

Watson 07-01-2021 12:11 PM

Wow...very creative and a lot of thought went into this one!

Watson

TheMerkleFamily 07-01-2021 01:53 PM

Now that is beautiful textile art! Love all of the creativity you put into this gorgeous piece - thanks so much for sharing it and your thought process!

LAF2019 07-01-2021 06:16 PM

wow! what an amazing piece of art!