Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   String "Quilt as you Go" blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/string-%22quilt-you-go%22-blocks-t37889.html)

athenagwis 02-25-2010 04:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to share my new project. I am actually making these blocks using a few ideas I have gathered from around the web. First I am using the Quilt as you go method that K3n described here: QAYG.

Someone suggested in a batting thread that she uses the zigzag stitch to hold down the pieces that are too small to actually piece, which I have a lot of. Many of my pieces are 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch, and really can't be pieced together, so I have been piecing some of the bigger ones and then using a decorative stitch to hold down the smaller ones. I think it gives it a lot of interest. The flower blocks in the pictures is actually the back of my blocks. I had a very pretty bed sheet type fabric that I am using for the back. A little starch on it, and it's perfect!! I am using pieces of leftover batting for these, and it feels great to make something so pretty using only leftovers.

I am piecing these together using the leaders and enders method found here: Leaders and Enders

As I am making other projects I will stick this under the foot at the end, so I don't have to cut threads or have tails. So this project is truly scrappy!! It's only using small scraps of fabrics, scraps of batting, and even scraps of thread to prevent tails on my other projects!! And I have to say it is one of my favorites to date. :)

I have also posted a picture of my pile of scraps that I am working from.

Thanks for looking!!
Rachel

quazyquilter 02-25-2010 04:30 AM

I was in Joann's the other day and the woman in the sewing machine dept. was making quilt blocks,using 1 1/2" strips and sewing 1/2" seams at one end and reducing the seam allowance down to 1/4" at the other end of the block. When I asked her about it, she showed me the quilting mag that called it fandangles (I think). Really cool technique! I like what you are doing, it's going to be a beautiful quilt!

no1jan 02-25-2010 04:43 AM

Love this idea!

It cuts down on the accumulation of scaps. I have only been quilting for 2 months, but already am starting to accumlate.

I must be honest here. Even though I didn't quilt until the end of November, I couldn't stand throwing out scraps! I have saved scraps from decorative pillows, blankets, etc that I have made over the past few years.

Who knew at that time I could make something so beautiful.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

k3n 02-25-2010 05:12 AM

Beautiful Rachel! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the effect of the fancy stitches! :D

MamaBear61 02-25-2010 05:26 AM

That is going to be really pretty

jewelps 02-25-2010 05:47 AM

very nice

athenagwis 02-25-2010 10:02 AM

Thanks!! It has been a lot of fun to work on. And you're right no1jan, it doesn't take long at all to accumulate all those scraps!! :) I think all of mine are just from 4-5 projects, but I love using them and I love that I can use every piece of fabric I have now. :)

I am always browsing Etsy or Ebay to see if anyone is getting rid of scraps, I love to have other people scraps as it's beautiful fabric that I wouldn't have thought to buy myself. And now that I can make these I can take really small scraps too!! Hmmmm maybe I'll get lucky at yard sales this year. :)

Cheers!
Rachel

amma 02-25-2010 12:05 PM

I love how creative you are in making these blocks :D:D:D
The decorative stitching really makes those blocks pop!!!

Oklahoma Suzie 02-26-2010 02:55 AM

cute