Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sun Bonnet Sue lives here too (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sun-bonnet-sue-lives-here-too-t8812.html)

Riley 07-07-2008 01:12 PM

OH MY!
I have been a busy beaver all day, trying to get everything put back in place after 54 guests here for the 4th. I come back to find all these wonderful comments. You really make a person feel appreciated---thank you!

Sissy went into a "big girl " bed for her 3rd birthday. She is the best "mommy"--4 of her doll babies live here at our home (for us to play with, of course! :mrgreen: )

The book is "The Ultimate Sunbonnet Sue Collection" by Leisure Arts. I believe I bought this one on Amazon.com I did tweak some of the patterns. For example, the one with an umbrella had no bonnet, the umbrella was jammed down on her shoulders. I re-drafted it to include a bonnet.

All of the blocks are needleturn applique. The accents are embroidered.
I used all 1930 Repos.

Now, I must quilt my fingers off to get it done for her. (We are blessed to have 7 G-Grans. Sissy is our youngest one.)

BTW, please don't say that your Sunbonnets are not good. There is no such thing as a bad Sunbonnet (except those that kill them off) You just used a different technique than I did. In case you don't guess, I still love Sunbonnet Sue at my age!!!

Thank you again for your kind words!

Riley

quiltwoman 07-07-2008 01:35 PM

I can see why she wants the quilt now! It's wonderful. WHich one is her favorite??

sewnsewer2 07-07-2008 01:56 PM

Thank you for the info.

DazzleMe! 07-07-2008 04:25 PM

I love it. I have the same book. After seeing yours I cant wait to start mine. Soooooo Prettty!

thequiltlady08 07-07-2008 06:14 PM

I LOVE this... I really want to do a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt - I'm working on a redwork one - want to do an applique one too... like I said before - so many patterns, so little time... maybe one day...

chairjogger 07-07-2008 10:34 PM

OH! I would love to do this ! She is so hard to do ! I STILL do not have the rounded edges down ! Such nice work!
Chairjogger (Ellen)

kd124 07-07-2008 11:13 PM

I love Sun Bonnet Sue quilts!

Quilt4u 07-08-2008 01:40 AM

That is absolutely adorable.

Bevanger 07-08-2008 04:53 AM

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL..... Ya know, that would look good on my bed lol
so where did you find all the sbs's?

Riley 07-08-2008 05:38 AM

THANK YOU---all of you! You encourage me greatly.

Bev, the blocks are from the book The Ultimate Sunbonnet Sue by Leisure Arts.

I used all 23 of the patterns (there are 24 actually but that one is a big one to go on all 4 corners & I did not use that one.)
This quilt has 30 blocks. I reversed some of the Sues & also tweaked a lot of the patterns.

Another example: There are ice skates on one of the pattern. We live in the desert area of Texas, we have no ice skating here. So, I chose to put roller skates on her. A lot of tweaking, as said previously.

Sissy's favorite blocks are the ones of Sue with her dolls.

Again, I appreciate your kind comments!

Riley