Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   T-Shirt Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/t-shirt-quilt-t957.html)

susanhcc 05-30-2007 06:46 AM

How much did you use and did you get it in black and white? Thanks so much for the info.

susanhcc 05-30-2007 06:56 AM

Also Barb,
What type of interfacing did you use and how much of it? Was it full size when done? I noticed 5X5 on the block numbers.

isnthatodd 05-30-2007 07:45 AM

hook 'em horns! :D

BarbC 05-30-2007 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by susanhcc
Also Barb,
What type of interfacing did you use and how much of it? Was it full size when done? I noticed 5X5 on the block numbers.

I used a lot of interfacing... more than I expected. I think it was close to 10 yards BUT the stuff I used is only 20" wide. I bought it at the quilt shop and it is something like French Seam. It is a woven interfacing that has a stretch one way and is stiff the other way. So what you do is you make sure that the part of it that is stiff lines up with the stretchy part of the t-shirt. Also.. I didn't cut the shirt down a lot before ironing it on, so some got wasted. This was recommended to stiffen the shirts and make it easier to cut them into squares.

I cut off the arms and separated the front and back and then ironed the interfacing to the part I wanted. If there was a smaller part like a little logo on the front, I would cut it down some.

Once everything was ironed, I cut the big parts to 12 1/2 x 12 1/2... there were some that were 12 1/2W x 6 1/2H .. I used 2 of those to create a block.. and then there were some that were 6 1/2 x 6 1/2... four of those made a block.

One thing I read and it is so true. Do not fret if you loose a bit of the picture. Several of these were bigger than I needed and so a bit got cut off or lost in the seams, but the memory is still very clear.

As for the Texas Fabric.. I bought white and black... wish now I had just used the black. I think it would have looked better.

One more thing... do NOT iron on the t-shirt image.. it will melt on your iron. You have to watch this when you are ironing seams.

Barb C.

zyxquilts 05-30-2007 03:07 PM

Great job Barb! :thumbup:
I have been thinking about making a quilt named "Stains on the Front, so I Used the Back" & was wondering what kind of stabilizer to use. Now I know! :wink: I wear mostly jeans & solid color t-shirts (at work & at home), and usually eat at my desk at work - either reading or surfing & not paying attention....plop goes the lunch! lol But there's all that lovely colored fabric on the back, just going to waste...NOT!

:D

sue

BarbC 05-30-2007 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
Great job Barb! :thumbup:
I have been thinking about making a quilt named "Stains on the Front, so I Used the Back"

What a cute idea and great name! Barb C

Diane007 07-20-2012 05:17 PM

Great idea