Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Thanks QB! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/thanks-qb-t296629.html)

Quilter 53 05-01-2018 08:31 AM

Thanks QB!

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]593825[/ATTACH]
This is my version of Blooming Butterflies that I first saw here on QB. I made it for my BFF's granddaughter who just turned 1 in Feb. There's no batting just minkie for the backing. Really soft and cuddly.
There was a family discussion about what pattern to do and the suggestion was butterflies or hot air balloons, so in the upper right corner I added a colorful hot air balloon.
It occurred to me while I was stitching that I was using some of the tips I learned about here from all of you great quilters. Everything from which iron on stabilizer to use, blanket stitch, needle size, thread, prairie points, those wonderful Crayola washable markers, FMQ, and working with minkie. At one point my DSM decided to have a temper tantrum and I used this site to figure out how to take my machine apart to give it a much needed vacuuming and oiled everything in sight. I even used a quick come back I first heard here on the "Windows" telephone caller who interrupted my FMQ. When he said "This is about your computer, OK?", I responded, "No, it's not" and hung up.:D
Since I'm a fan of flange bindings, I got the great idea to use the left over minkie as my flange material. Yikes! I had pieces flying all over the sewing room, in my eyes, up my nose and in my mouth and all over my clothes. Didn't realize how bad it would be. There were a ton of minkie fibers caught under the stitching, but when I ran it through the washer the problem was resolved. I loved the final result. Just a little bit of soft fuzzy around the entire quilt, but not sure I'd put myself through the minkie blizzard again.
So this is my heartfelt Thank You to all of you who take the time to post a tip, a warning, a solution to a problem and all the wonderful inspiration that Quilting Board has to offer. I couldn't have done it with out you.
Karen

Sorry it's sideways. Still haven't figured that one out!

annievee 05-01-2018 08:49 AM

Very nice, great quilt

Geri B 05-01-2018 09:47 AM

Cute and so colorful! Did you quilt around the butterflies and tulips? Love your hot air balloon!

SillySusan 05-01-2018 09:52 AM

Cute, really very cute. I love it! One question... What's minkie?

Quilter 53 05-01-2018 10:17 AM

Geri B, I tried to do an echo quilting stitch. Not too pretty because I kept getting "lost".
Silly Susan, minkie is a super soft and very drape-able polyester. Probably should be capped because I think it's a brand name. I think JoAnn's calls it something else.

Teen 05-01-2018 02:35 PM

Beautiful version of this pattern. Just love it!!

jlt37869 05-01-2018 06:25 PM

Good job!!

Jingle 05-01-2018 06:43 PM

Very pretty.

sinceresissy 05-02-2018 03:34 AM

Very colorful and eye catching. I like it.

Homespun 05-02-2018 03:49 AM

That is so cute!