Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Is there a simple way to quilt this or should I pay the quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/there-simple-way-quilt-should-i-pay-quilter-t40581.html)

barnbum 03-24-2010 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You've seen this before... I have two done and ready to quilt. One is for me, one is a gift. They are small--about 30" x 46".

I'm in a quandary. I emailed a quilter who does gorgeous freehand--she did my Barn Quilt and some others. She said she'd love to enhance it, and it'd be $50-70--closer to $50 (minimum charge) due to its size. I have no idea what she'd do--I have no ideas how to go about it. That just seems like a lot for such a small piece, but I know it takes a lot of time to just get the pieces set in the machine.

Or I could just quilt some apples and horseshoes over it and call it good? I'd have to sew through a traced pattern to do it.

Or I could get the gift one done nicely and do my idea on mine....

Any ideas? What would you do? :D

Marjpf 03-24-2010 02:10 PM

Have the gift one done, then see when it comes back if you want it that way for yourself, or if you want to do your own design. Great job - I can almost hear then whinny!

thequilterslink 03-24-2010 02:14 PM

I agree, have the gift one done. That is such a wonderful gift. You are very talented.

janRN 03-24-2010 02:15 PM

I love that!! What a great job you did.
I agree with Marjpf. If it's a gift, I'd send it out. I can't machine quilt worth crap but if it's just for me, I do it.
Really love your piece!

barnbum 03-24-2010 02:20 PM

Okay--3 for 3--I'll call the quilter. Thanks! :-D

Maybe I can copy what she did--that's what I did on the barn quilt because the others I made were small wall hangings. Or if I adore it--I'll get mine done too.

:wink:

Crissie 03-24-2010 02:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just did a Scottie Baby Quilt for my friend and she was so thrilled with what I'd done, that really made my day more then the money she paid me. She had a white heavy flannel for the backing, I stitched in the ditch around each dogs, their collars and around the borders. I did circles in the back ground of each block. The back is what she was so excited about as it too looked as good as the front. If I did these horses I would do the same and I think a few FH stitching on their mains too .... not so sure that's how you'd spell that? I'm not a horse person, I leave that all up to my sister, if she could have I think she would have married a horse ;c} , her ridding days are over but her love for horses will go on forever.
Hope I help a little?

barnbum 03-24-2010 03:00 PM

Thanks, Crissie. I love your quilting job. I'd never be able to handle those little circles though.

And I looked it over again and think I've changed my mind. The horse heads are faux suede--I don't think I want any stitching on them at all. And none really needs to be since they are machine appliqued down. So--there's very little left to quilt! I think if I find a medium horseshoe I can do this!

Okay--your job has changed--now I need a pep talk. :lol:

NorBanaquilts 03-24-2010 03:06 PM

You can do it!! And both of them will be beautiful when you are done!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-24-2010 03:09 PM

I think you should quilt yours and see what you think. If it turns out to suit you, do the gift, too. At least try yours before you agree to a $50 charge. You might just surprise yourself.

barnbum 03-24-2010 03:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Look what I found!! I can print it off in different sizes and scatter them all around--leaving the horses. Of course they have to open at the top for good luck! :wink:

I'll go look up apples too!!!