Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Things I Learned When Making My First Rag Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/things-i-learned-when-making-my-first-rag-quilt-t235900.html)

Z Any Mouse 12-02-2013 10:24 AM

Things I Learned When Making My First Rag Quilt

3 Attachment(s)
This year I made two quilts I never thought I would make, a t-shirt quilt (photos coming soon, just need to label it), and a rag quilt. I plan to make a few for gifts this Christmas, and boy am I glad I made one for us first! Things I learned...well, for starters, the front is the back and the back is the front. The penguin print was supposed to be on the top, but I forgot that you're supposed to sew the blocks with the backs facing each other. Oops! I also had one naughty block that went in backwards, and I decided to leave it since it's just a couch cuddler quilt for my family. Also, spring-loaded snips are very helpful for clipping the seams, and be prepared to use an entire lint roller to get all the threads and fuzz off after washing. Another quilter suggested running a load of regular laundry immediately after washing the rag quilt, to push any remaining fuzz through the pipes to prevent clogging. I did this, and also emptied the lint catcher a few times during the drying process, and it worked great.

This one was made with 9" blocks (8" batting squares), 1/2" seam allowance, and came out to 54" x 69" after washing.

Thanks for looking, and have a beautiful day!

Jingle 12-02-2013 11:08 AM

Very nice. I think your cat thinks so too.

Tartan 12-02-2013 11:15 AM

You may think you won't do another one but after friends and family snuggle under your cute quilt this season, be prepared for requests.:)

Diane007 12-02-2013 11:22 AM

I like your green

EllenwoodGa 12-02-2013 11:30 AM

Great job on your rag quilts.

QuiltnNan 12-02-2013 11:42 AM

nicely done

lynnie 12-02-2013 12:59 PM

those penguins are so cute and so is your inspector

ManiacQuilter2 12-02-2013 01:09 PM

I think you cat loves it and that is the most important vote that counts !! He really had to get the most of his body onto the quilt. Love that picture !!

Ginaky 12-02-2013 05:53 PM

I have done a couple and I have to say I wouldn't attempt them at all if I had to do the snipping! I just my Big Shot Pro and Accucut rag die to cut my pieces! Makes it much easier. Your colors are pretty and it looks like your kitty approves!

Z Any Mouse 12-02-2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky (Post 6435539)
I have done a couple and I have to say I wouldn't attempt them at all if I had to do the snipping! I just my Big Shot Pro and Accucut rag die to cut my pieces! Makes it much easier. Your colors are pretty and it looks like your kitty approves!

That sounds so much easier! I might have to put one of those on my Christmas list : ) Thanks for the compliments!