Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Thread painting...so much fun :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/thread-painting-so-much-fun-t11588.html)

Charla 09-25-2008 08:23 AM

Well I got the idea from some show on opb. did I do it correctly...not sure but they turned out pretty neat. I will see if I can't find something or try and make directions to do this. give me a bit, but will put something together.

Cheers!!

Belinda 09-25-2008 02:54 PM

Thread painting, hmmmmm...looks very interesting and yours are so cool! :thumbup: Would love to know some more about this technique!

sewsewquilter 09-25-2008 03:25 PM

Way Cool! That looks hard. Beautiful!

live2teach 09-25-2008 03:29 PM

Wow, that is neat! I'm not familiar with thread painting either, but I will be soon! :)

Charla 09-25-2008 03:52 PM

Ok so where do I start....I stated with a medim weight interfacing and drew my design....if you find something you like you could proably trace it on there..... then after you have done that fuse it to your material. Next I put a rayon pretty tread in my bobbin and sewed the outline only( so it was upside down when I was sewing. layer from bottom to top. bottom was fadric and top was interfacing, this was also done on free motion). then after I had my outline on there I turned the material so it the was placed with fadric on top and interfacing on the bottom, and then just colored it whit my tread. I would sugjest something small maybe a flower or a fish...find some thread rayon seems to work best and color it. when picking the thread colors use some that blend good...suck as light pink, dark pink and maybe red. something to think about when coloring with the thread if you do a flower start from the center and work your way out to give the flower a more realistic look. or if your doing a stem imagine how the texture would look and use the free motion in those directions. I would think that maybe if you search thread painting on the net you should be able to find something...and don't get overwhelmed...when you think you have added enough thread add more! then your done. and if you make a mistake it's ok cuz you cover it with more thread. I hope I'm able to answer your quesions...I would love to see what you all come up with!!!

Cheers

Charla 09-25-2008 05:53 PM

see part two for a better photo of direction when painting

ScubaK 09-25-2008 08:19 PM

They are very beautiful.
Are you ging to share your technique?
I would love some beginner hints...
Maybe you could do a ttutorial in that section for the octopus....
Thanks
Kirsten

Izy 09-26-2008 12:07 AM

Charla, your thread painting is fantastic :D

I 'played' abit doing this a while back, once you relax it's great fun, but unless you are confident doing free motion, you need to practice practice practice :lol:

A good place to search is utube, then you can see how you move the fabric around to get the right effects :D

sandpat 09-26-2008 05:10 AM

Thats really cool!

Quilting Aggi 09-26-2008 06:44 AM

amazing work!! I took a thread painting course back in June and just loved it!!! I never did get back to it!! oooh some day...

I love the fish and the mermaid myself!!!