Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Today's UFO finished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/todays-ufo-finished-t85838.html)

Maride 12-28-2010 06:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And when I say UFO, I really mean it.

I have found many angels in my life, many of them on this board. Many of you have touched my life one way or another;one woman in particular has become part of my life. We are on opposite sides of the country but we "talk" every day and keep in touch constantly.

When she was 14 years old, and this was over 64 years ago, she received for her birthday a sewing machine and some quilting classes. She started playing with 2 inches squares and made 24 blocks. She may have made other things, but these blocks never got made into a quilt. I am sure this blocks have many stories to tell because she kept them in a box and saved them with her all this time. When we started to get in touch she told me about them and asked me if I would accept them. How could I say no? It is part of her history and I was honored to be part of them.

When I received them in the mail I was amazed. The fabrics are beautiful. Some are not cotton, but this is what she had back then. Some fabrics are a little stretchy, and some a very stretchy. Some of her blocks were not perfectly square, but others were so good is amazing. They show the skill of a 14 year old girl. I took some time to think how to put them together to make them look perfect and woke up one morning thinking, Just do it. They will look great no matter what. I put it together and was happy with the result. I then put it aside again to think about the quilting. Eddie gave me the best idea and he doesn't even know it. I see how he takes vintage quilts and just do a medium size meandering all over. Is quilted but it doesn't take away from the piecing. So I decided to go with that.

Since this is UFO week for me before I start school next Monday, this morning I figured, it is the turn of this quilt. I worked most of the day on it and it is now done.

I will leave it up to her to identify herself as the maker of these amazing blocks, but she is the one who deserves all the credit. For making them and for storing them all this time. Thanks a lot for giving me the opportunity to finish this for you.

Cyn 12-28-2010 06:25 PM

Lovely!

luckylindy333 12-28-2010 06:28 PM

They are beautiful! You did such a nice job putting them together and quilting them!!! Thank you for sharing the picture... Do you know the name of this pattern, by any chance?

sandraa 12-28-2010 06:28 PM

Such a heart warming story. Thanks for sharing and the quilt is beautiful.

Janetd 12-28-2010 06:30 PM

Wow what a treasure she is! And the quilt!

Jim's Gem 12-28-2010 06:31 PM

Beautiful!!! You did a great job putting it all together!!!

frugalfabrics 12-28-2010 06:31 PM

Wow...that's a treasure.

littlehud 12-28-2010 06:32 PM

What a wonderful friend you have and what a great friend you are. Beautiful quilt.

FranW 12-28-2010 06:33 PM

Beautiful quilt and wonderful story. God Bless you both!

S D G 12-28-2010 06:33 PM

Absolutely beautiful.