Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Toni Whitney Blue Heron wallhanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/toni-whitney-blue-heron-wallhanging-t300855.html)

feline fanatic 11-12-2018 07:12 AM

Toni Whitney Blue Heron wallhanging

5 Attachment(s)
This is all raw edge fusible applique and done exquisitely. I did trapunto style quilting on the heron by loading the top with wool batting (no backing) and I did all the feather detailing. Those bits that come off the edge of the quilt (the beak and tail feathers) were new for me. It represented some challenges but I think it turned out well. I didn't do any stitching on the beak but did feather details in the tail. I had to pin the body of the quilt back (as well as the batting) and went slow as I had to do it one handed. I had to use my other hand to hold the piece while quilting.

After the heron was all done, I cut away all the extra batting and loaded it up with backing a layer of W&N and another layer of wool. Then quilted all the background.

Techy summary:
Batting as mentioned above, wool, then a layer of wool over W&N
Thread: Invisfil by Wonderfil Threads, in multiple colors
Hours spent: Approximately 8 but at least 2 of those hours were spent ripping out stitches and redoing. I had some areas I had to rip out as my tension got all wonky on me. Looked great on top, no so much underneath. I think I was getting buildup of the adhesive on my needle which caused it to go all cattiwhompus for no other apparent reason. I then had to make sure when I redid it I was hitting the same needle holes because the fusible tends to keep old needle holes visible, especially when there are multiple layers built up.

The whole piece

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603896[/ATTACH]

Some detail shots
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603897[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603898[/ATTACH]

All the tan feathers are the ones I had to redo. But the whispy feathers in the cranes breast I had done prior to that and the tension was just fine there. Which is why I attributed the tension issue to adhesive buildup on my needle. I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and that seemed to solve the issue. I had no problems after that.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603899[/ATTACH]

And a gratuitous back shot:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603900[/ATTACH]

Tartan 11-12-2018 07:14 AM

Lovely appliqué and quilting! Back shots are always great to showcase the quilting.

sash 11-12-2018 07:45 AM

Wow; so very beautiful. Looks real.

thimblebug6000 11-12-2018 07:50 AM

Wonderful work

A1penny 11-12-2018 08:01 AM

That bird is ready to fly! Beautifully done...don't let it escape.

Mariposa 11-12-2018 08:07 AM

Such a beauty! A great pattern, and fantastic quilting! (I have this kit too..... inspired to get busy! :)

Maggie_Sue 11-12-2018 08:25 AM

Wow, that is amazing, I hope you plan to enter it in some contest or quilt show!!!!

Linny 11-12-2018 08:30 AM

All the work on this one certainly paid off. It is gorgeous!

TheMerkleFamily 11-12-2018 08:37 AM

Wow! This is an amazing work of art! Thank you for sharing your technique details too.

I'm in awe of how you bring a one-dimensional piece to life like this - it's just gorgeous!

Christine

LindaMRB 11-12-2018 08:56 AM

Impressive work getting the look of feathers. I love the blue heron…yours and in real life.