Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Too pretty to cut? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/too-pretty-cut-t304908.html)

Mimi01 05-26-2019 08:12 AM

Too pretty to cut?

1 Attachment(s)
I have 3 yards of this fabric, got it at the Salvation army fabric sale, so it was not very expensive.
not sure what to do with it. I have 7 yds of coordinating fabric for back and borders.

Doggramma 05-26-2019 08:22 AM

Wow that’s really pretty. I’d be tempted to do some simple blocks, pulling out the colors from the fabric. Then maybe use the fabric for some nice big borders. Or alternate simple blocks with big blocks of the fabric.

vicki reno 05-26-2019 08:46 AM

Try Warm Wishes pattern. It has a focus fabric and 2 or 3 coordinating fabrics used in alternating blocks. If you are not familiar with this pattern google Warm Wishes quilt pattern. It is a free pattern on the internet. Used a lot in Project Linus quilts.

QuiltE 05-26-2019 09:03 AM

Totally my colours, so I can see why you like it.

Agree ... don't cut it .... and use it for a backing!!!
Without matching the pattern, it would give you a backing approx. 54"x80"
But I would definitely match the print, to keep it looking awesome.
Once you know your backing size, then you can decide on your front requirements!

I would use the offcuts to make a top with the coordinating fabrics you already have.
Or even, do the top without them ... kind of like a two for one deal ... reversible!

paintmejudy 05-26-2019 09:42 AM

Stack and Wack, either 4 patch a (4 repeats needed) or the 6 piece triangle pieces (6 repeats needed).

charlottequilts 05-26-2019 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8258039)

Once you know your backing size, then you can decide on your front requirements!

It sounds best to me, too, to keep it as an entire side, although I'd just use some wide panels of it and alternate thin strips of a coordinating blender to keep from having to match the print. That would free up the front to make any pattern you like from the coordinates.

Warm Wishes is wildly popular, but to me, it can easily look like the focus fabric is just pasted on in squares instead of blending into the others. There are some artful examples here on the board if you do a search.

hugs,
charlotte

QuiltE 05-26-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy (Post 8258046)
Stack and Wack, either 4 patch a (4 repeats needed) or the 6 piece triangle pieces (6 repeats needed).

Yes, that would work, though Mimi01 said it was too pretty to cut .......
....... and doing a SAW, 4PP or OBW would mean chopping it all up!

Dolphyngyrl 05-26-2019 10:49 AM

I would do a bq pattern

Mimi01 05-26-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8258039)

I would use the offcuts to make a top with the coordinating fabrics you already have.
Or even, do the top without them ... kind of like a two for one deal ... reversible!

How would I get the 54x80 for a backing

QuiltE 05-26-2019 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mimi01 (Post 8258061)
How would I get the 54x80 for a backing

I was just going with your measurements of 3 yards.
Split that in half and they would each be 54xWOF, together approx. 54x80.
As mentioned, matching the design would make it smaller for sure.