Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   It took four generations to finish this! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/took-four-generations-finish-t11042.html)

Elizabeth A. 09-09-2008 07:45 AM

That is beautiful Celeste. What shape is used to make up those flowers? At first I thought they were Hexagons you know like a Grandmother's garden... But no, and then I thought "triangles" but that's not right either, are they 60 degree diamonds?

VINEGAR! Soak the entire thing in Vinegar, straight. You can get a gallon pretty cheap at the gocery store. Then soak it. Every half hour to an hour move it around in the bucket.

I had a crazy age stain on some very special fabric and I was amazed by how well it worked. Just last night I was looking at it in the quilt I made with it and was astonished at how it looked like "new!" The vinegar will get "groady" like oily tea, but pay it no mind, as it wont remanifest on the quilt, you'll just have to wash your hands with dishsoap (or Renee will) after every swishing.

PrettyKitty 09-09-2008 07:53 AM

Wow, amazing to have a real heirloom quilt. Its beautiful!

nor'easter 09-09-2008 07:58 AM

Gorgeous quilt and a great job by your sister! What a treasure to have. I have some fourth generation quilts and they mean everything to me!

The vinegar rinse I've always used is one part white vinegar to four parts warm water, not straight vinegar. Works like a charm to remove yellowing from age or storage issues.

vjquilter 09-09-2008 08:19 AM

How pretty! I think those stars twinkle too! I have never seen that pattern before-reminds me of Grandmothers's Flower Garden with diamonds instead of hexagons.

Riley 09-09-2008 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!! I am so drawn to these old quilts.

If you would not mind---
I was so impressed with this beauty,having never seen this particular pattern before in this setting, I went looking it up in Barbarab Brackman's Blockbase.

There is not a lot of info there but I did find it!!! The name of this is :
Glory Star
Published in the KC Star in 1933.
That is all the info provided in BB Blockbase.

Riley

This is what is shown in BB Blockbase. I know it is the same with the exception of the setting triangles.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58411[/ATTACH]

nor'easter 09-09-2008 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is as a jpeg file, Riley. Good detective work! I just modified your file...hope you don't mind.

mgshaw 09-09-2008 09:58 AM

Wow! This is so awesome!!!!

Elizabeth A. 09-09-2008 11:33 AM

Ahhh! 60 degree diamonds! I was just planning a quilt like the interior star just last night! :D

sewnsewer2 09-09-2008 12:47 PM

I don't see the brown stain, but if you take it to your drycleaner and ask them to "soak it in sodiumporborate" it may come out.

If it is a yellowish brown spot, it may be a humidity stain which will not come out. I was in the dryclean business for over 25 years.

Elizabeth A. 09-09-2008 01:26 PM

It's on the bottom near the right side in the photo. That's the reason I said straight vinegar. If you were just hoping to lighten the age out a bit I would say the dilute wash, but I'm certain you'd both really like the stains out.