Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   topsy, turvey doll I made for DGGD (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/topsy-turvey-doll-i-made-dggd-t69024.html)

barbsbus 10-08-2010 08:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Katie is going to be 4 years old and has every store bought toy ever made, so I thought I would make her something that can not be bought. My grandmother made a similar one for me when I was about her age and I used to play with it a lot, although I did not have every store bought toy made, it was during the war and there just wasn't a lot of store bought toys at that time.

Grandma side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111968[/ATTACH]

Little girl side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111969[/ATTACH]

craftybear 10-08-2010 08:14 AM

very cute, you should make and sell them

amma 10-08-2010 08:14 AM

That is adorable!!! She is going to love it :D:D:D

sewred 10-08-2010 08:17 AM

I had a Topsy Turvy doll when i was younger! Course, then i didn't know what it was ! hee hee It was one that told the little Red Riding Hood story!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-08-2010 09:55 AM

Pardon my ignorance........does the skirt cover the other head?

cynde 10-08-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewred
I had a Topsy Turvy doll when i was younger! Course, then i didn't know what it was ! hee hee It was one that told the little Red Riding Hood story!

My daughter had the exact same one, we didn't know what it was called either, but it was so cool.

Love the doll you made, did you have a pattern, or did you make it up yourself?

barbsbus 10-08-2010 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Pardon my ignorance........does the skirt cover the other head?

Yes, you pull the skirt over the head of the exposed doll and then the other doll is ready to play with.

barbsbus 10-08-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by cynde

Originally Posted by sewred

My daughter had the exact same one, we didn't know what it was called either, but it was so cool.

Love the doll you made, did you have a pattern, or did you make it up yourself?

I just winged it. Years ago I made some from patterns so knew the general idea. I fashioned the heads from panty hose and soft sculptered the faces, the bodies and hands are muslin.
The little girl side is shorter than the grandma side.

RatherB Quilting 10-08-2010 10:22 AM

Too cute! I remember when I was little I had one that was a wolf on one side and the other side had a two faced doll of Grandma and Little Red Riding Hood. I played with it all the time!! Your DGGD will love it I am sure!

cynde 10-08-2010 10:36 AM

I just winged it. Years ago I made some from patterns so knew the general idea. I fashioned the heads from panty hose and soft sculptered the faces, the bodies and hands are muslin.
The little girl side is shorter than the grandma side.[/quote]

So what did you stuff the pantyhose with to make the heads?