Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Tote for a 5 year old (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/tote-5-year-old-t190230.html)

nursie76 05-28-2012 12:05 PM

Tote for a 5 year old

3 Attachment(s)
First some background on how this project came to be. My DH eats frequently at a Chinese restaurant near his place of employment. The managers of the place often take there 5 year old to work with them. My DH always felt sorry for her because she looked so lonely, so he started making conversation with her and soon, she would keep him company while he ate. He said she reminds him of our oldest daughter at that age, and she seemed to touch his heart. One day he found our old Mouse Trap board game and took it with him when he went to lunch. She loved moving the mice around the board and building the trap. Soon he was looking for kids games to load onto his IPhone for her to play. Her mother and aunts who also work there soon became friends and he found out the little one was starting kindergarten in the fall. They said she was having trouble with her letters, so he got a set of flash cards and encouraged her to say the letters. Last month he said he wouldn't be seeing her much longer, because once her older brother was out of school, she wouldn't be coming into the restaurant much anymore. I offered to make her something as a good bye gift and he requested a tote bag. So, this is what I came up with. I also added a cat coin purse and butterfly tissue holder all made in my embroidery hoop. I think they came out very nicely, although he insisted on a somewhat bigger tote than I had planned, but he says he remembers our daughter loved to tote lots of treasures around when she was this age, so this is the size it became. Thanks for looking.

paulettepoe 05-28-2012 12:11 PM

Very kind and nice of your husband to befriend her. and Wonderful of you to make this. I absolutely think it is just too dang cute!!!!

Maria C 05-28-2012 12:12 PM

That is such a sweet story and a lovely gift. Thanks for sharing it.

grandma7 05-28-2012 12:15 PM

Oh, My! This is truely too cute! I'm sure she will love it. I'm positive she'll feel the love that went into making it. It is so pretty!

Quilt Novice 05-28-2012 12:35 PM

Great job it's really cute!

Sienna's GiGi 05-28-2012 12:45 PM

The story is just as cute as the bag.

Grandma Peg 05-28-2012 12:48 PM

Way too cute and she will love it. They will both miss each other.

LTeachergeorge 05-28-2012 01:03 PM

What a touching story!! The bag is just adorable -- I'm sure she'll love it!! How very kind of you to make it for her. Your DH must be a real gem relating to her so well and continuing the bond. So sweet. Thank you for sharing!!

Linda

Helen S 05-28-2012 01:09 PM

Such a sweet story! You did a wonderful job on the tote and accessories that I'm sure she'll love it all. It's too cute!

craftymatt2 05-28-2012 01:28 PM

What a precious story, and that tote bag she will treasure forever as well as your DH, so nice of you to make