Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   the treadle I bought and a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/treadle-i-bought-question-t57479.html)

jenna p in ga 08-02-2010 09:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I went back to the thrift store/antique mall and picked up this treadle for $65. Not bad even if i can't use it :). The pics are not great, will try to post better ones later.

My question is about the pic of the flywheel (i guess that is what it is called). Notice the chip missing out of it...is that normal? I hope so, or if not that it won't effect it's performance.

Thanks for looking and any help.
Jenna

feet & most of manuel, some pgs mssing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90311[/ATTACH]

top of cabinet, only shows when shut!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90348[/ATTACH]

the head notice the rust on wheel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90354[/ATTACH]

better shot of head
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90355[/ATTACH]

fly wheel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90356[/ATTACH]

jenna p in ga 08-02-2010 09:39 AM

Oh, and while there I went back through the place and found a White head for $15, and another older electric machine in wooden case for $60...can't remember the name of that one though. I did not see either of those when there Sat, but I did not buy them today...one at a time :).

PS I am scared to death to use this treadle!!! It looks so intimidating, and that shuttle for the bobbin scares me...looking for much help.

virtualbernie 08-02-2010 09:54 AM

Billy (Lostn51) is the one you need to talk to. He has a virtual section on vintage machines. He's done tutorials on cleaning up these beauties! He's very knowlegable on old machines! Check out the vintage machine section!

I bought a treadle in much worse condition than yours--cleaned her up and oiled her per Billy tutes and she works like a charm! I just need practice on how to keep her moving forward--not backwards--it's a rhythm kind of thing. :lol:

jenna p in ga 08-02-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Billy (Lostn51) is the one you need to talk to.

Looking forward to his response, I am mostly concerned w/that chip.

Glad to know the tutes work, going there next :).

Thanks,
Jenna

mlaceruby 08-02-2010 10:12 AM

really nice!
not sure about the chip but it almost looks like it should be there

hobo2000 08-02-2010 10:14 AM

That chip will not affect the belt as long as it is tight. It won't affect the running in any other way. I am really interested to see this machine. I have never seen one like it and I love the old machines. I am looking for a hand crank at present to take camping with us.

jenna p in ga 08-02-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
That chip will not affect the belt as long as it is tight. It won't affect the running in any other way. I am really interested to see this machine. I have never seen one like it and I love the old machines. I am looking for a hand crank at present to take camping with us.

Thanks, I was hoping that is what someone would say! I will post a better pic when Dh gets home so he can unload it for me :). Hope you have success in finding a hand crank. Can't you turn an older motorized one into a teadle or hand crank? Though I read that somewhere...oh yeah, here is a link
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...handwheel.html

Hope this helps!!

grann of 6 08-02-2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
Oh, and while there I went back through the place and found a White head for $15, and another older electric machine in wooden case for $60...can't remember the name of that one though. I did not see either of those when there Sat, but I did not buy them today...one at a time :).

PS I am scared to death to use this treadle!!! It looks so intimidating, and that shuttle for the bobbin scares me...looking for much help.

I have a White treadle in excellent condition that I paid $165 for over 10 years ago. I decided I would sew something on it; had a terrible time, until I discovered that the way I was turning it was actually backwards. I finally made a table runner from repro Civil War fabric after I figured it out. Lots of fun!!! I do miss a light on it tho'.

Crossstitcher 08-02-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
I went back to the thrift store/antique mall and picked up this treadle for $65. Not bad even if i can't use it :). The pics are not great, will try to post better ones later.

My question is about the pic of the flywheel (i guess that is what it is called). Notice the chip missing out of it...is that normal? I hope so, or if not that it won't effect it's performance.

Thanks for looking and any help.
Jenna

From looking at your machine's fly wheel that notch is for putting the belt on or talking it off. I have 2 free treadles and a free electric. Haven't used them yet waiting for my sewing studio to be completed. So I can have more room. The picture of my avitar is a white.

walen 08-02-2010 04:23 PM

I think your notch is for the belt, too. I think it was made that way. The expert will know. It is a beauty!