Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   'True' scrappy Jacob's Ladder is all done!..well nearly..(Instructions at post #332) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/true-scrappy-jacobs-ladder-all-done-well-nearly-instructions-post-332-a-t152842.html)

KathyPhillips 02-29-2012 09:24 PM

Wow! That is really beautiful! I can't wait to get mine done, but I have 2 ahead of it now. My son's and my friend, Elisabeth's. She is dealing with cancer in her spine and her hip bone. She was diagnosed with breast cancer 10 yrs. ago, and chose not to have Radiation or Chemo, but took oral meds. and the breast cancer was better. I have a panel that says, "Cancer can't...."and lists things that it cannot take away from you.
Friends of ours are returning to England tomorrow!

KathyPhillips 02-29-2012 09:28 PM

There is a Quilt in a Day book, I believe, but it cannot be made in a day!

Originally Posted by Alwaysdancing (Post 4890171)
This is so pretty, right now i'm cutting all my material in to triangles and squares. and have found so many scrappy quilt ideas from this site. Did you have a pattern for this or made your own?

QM 02-29-2012 09:37 PM

Marvelous!!!

Izy 03-01-2012 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by KathyPhillips (Post 5020751)
Wow! That is really beautiful! I can't wait to get mine done, but I have 2 ahead of it now. My son's and my friend, Elisabeth's. She is dealing with cancer in her spine and her hip bone. She was diagnosed with breast cancer 10 yrs. ago, and chose not to have Radiation or Chemo, but took oral meds. and the breast cancer was better. I have a panel that says, "Cancer can't...."and lists things that it cannot take away from you.
Friends of ours are returning to England tomorrow!

I am sorry to hear about Elisabeth's struggles, I am sending positive thoughts and ((((((((((hugs))))))))to her.

I look forward to seeing yours soon Kathy!

The instructions are included in my message No. 332 for those that would like to know how I constructed it :) :)

Thanks again everyone! :D

ScrapQuilter 01-11-2013 09:09 AM

That is the same quilt I have on my design wall right now.......... was having a bad day working on it the other day.... sewed the same hst in the wrong way 3 times thought it was time to give it a rest for a day or two....... not a hard pattern just that my brain wasn't working that day.....lol have lots of days like that...... must be winter getting to me.
I love that pattern and it's one of the great way to use up scraps. Trying to decide if I want to put a border in it or not??

nygal 01-11-2013 09:13 AM

It is beautiful.

Izy 01-11-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ScrapQuilter (Post 5778491)
That is the same quilt I have on my design wall right now.......... was having a bad day working on it the other day.... sewed the same hst in the wrong way 3 times thought it was time to give it a rest for a day or two....... not a hard pattern just that my brain wasn't working that day.....lol have lots of days like that...... must be winter getting to me.
I love that pattern and it's one of the great way to use up scraps. Trying to decide if I want to put a border in it or not??

Thanks Scrapquilter for reviving my favourite quilt. I chose to add borders as you can see. I would love to see your quilt, have you posted any pictures of it yet? :D

Fuzzykittenbutt 01-14-2013 02:01 AM

wow, beautiful quilt! but i'm having trouble finding the instructions for it. for me they're not on page 23...help?

Ria 01-14-2013 02:14 AM

I love this!

Izy 01-14-2013 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Izy (Post 4224163)
Here is a quick run down:

I can't help with fabric quantities as I just cut two piles of 2" squares and 4" squares from scraps in a mix of darks and lights (keep darks and lights separate!) - anything goes as long as you have a strong contrast when stitching at all stages of making each block.

Each block takes:

3 - 4 patches and 6 HST's

So to work out quantities - multiply:-

6 - 2" lights AND 6 - 2" darks squares (four patches)
3 -4" lights AND 3 - 4" darks squares (Half Squared Triangles)

per block, multiplied by however many blocks you need to make to get the size quilt you require.

I made a pile of 4 patches and a pile of HST's, chain piecing as much as possible. When I was bored with doing that, I then selected from each pile, laying out by my sewing machine in the block formation making sure I had a good mix of fabrics.

Lay them in a 9 patch formation.

Lay out 3 - 4 Patches running diagonally from bottom left to top right with light squares running through the centre.

Next, lay 2 HST's with dark sides touching either side of the 4 patches.

Then finally, the two corner HST's with dark corners outwards. You can see in the picture below if you look closely.

Stitch together to make each block.

Here's a link to a tutorial I made which is great for lining up each intersection, it really works!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28328-1.htm

Just carry on making a pile of 4 patches and a pile of HST's then make them into blocks, then make a few more 4 patches and HST's, (I found it less monotonous that way) until you have enough made!

I made 56 9.5" blocks.

My quilt was based around 4 blocks turned so the 4 Patches created an 'X' (see picture below of a few blocks layout on the floor before sewing together).

The first border was 3" wide

Then I added the diamond border, created by sewing 4 HST's into a diamond formation block, then stitched these blocks together to create the border.

The 3rd Border was 3" wide.

I hope everyone understands this! :lol: :D

Here is a copy of the instructions Fuzzykittenbutt! Sorry for confusing you with the Pg. 23 ...it was before the QB changed to the new format and depends on your personal viewing settings how many messages are on each page!

Thank you for your compliment, I have this quilt on my bed all the time, it has special memories for me! :)