Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Two Christmas presents finished in time for my mother-in-law (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/two-christmas-presents-finished-time-my-mother-law-t237287.html)

adyldrop 12-23-2013 03:11 PM

Two Christmas presents finished in time for my mother-in-law

3 Attachment(s)
She's one of the few that have actually asked me for something and since i have limited time with a toddler and another due in Spring i stopped making things for anyone but me unless they ask or i know beyond doubt it will be appreciated. My goal was to make a name banner for our good friend's second child and these 2 projects. I finished all so i've allowed myself to begin cutting the fabric that i bought over 10 years ago and been hoarding waiting for my daughter. The table runner is almost 80" long and was what my MIL requested for her table after seeing my mini one i had made. I switched out a few fabrics on hers and made hers more red as opposed to mine being more blue. Both are patriotic seminole patchwork. I hand quilted because that's all i do. The Christmas wall hanging i am not happy with. I bought 2 panels and both have misprints in the text and were terribly skewed. I put so much time into the hand quilting of it, the crosshatched backgrounds on all 3 parts of the panels, outlining all the red work print with stitching and metallic gold stars in the checkerboard border. Took forever to get the checkerboard perfect and it still looks so skewed. I hate that i Spent so much time over something i am not proud of and will never buy a panel again. I'm sticking with my hand drawn appliqué and embroidery accents from here on out. :(

Quilter 65 12-23-2013 03:24 PM

Well, in spite of the problems, I think they are both smashing. Love the table runner and the redwork doesn't look wonky to me. Goodness, girl, with that little one and one on the way, don't be too hard on yourself. That is amazing and good to have a young quilter keeping up the traditions!

adyldrop 12-23-2013 03:30 PM

Thanks my mom and husband both told me they were great and my mom wants them lol. My mother in law isn't showy with her emotions so i'm trusting my husband that he knows his mom and she'll like them. The name banner was definitely more satisfying i just need pics of it and now i'm working with my stash of dandelion girl fabrics for my daughter i am much happier with my progress lol. I'm very hard on myself can ya tell??

Kooklabell 12-23-2013 03:37 PM

These are absolutely beautiful. Who taught you to hand quilt? Your work is so perfect.

Diane007 12-23-2013 03:42 PM

both are very nice......

dakotamaid 12-23-2013 03:43 PM

Beautiful work, I love that long table runner and your red work is lovely also. She will love both. :)

Kathy T. 12-23-2013 03:51 PM

I think both are exceptionally lovely.

adyldrop 12-23-2013 04:08 PM

Thank you all very much! Kuklabll, i grew up with my mom quilting and doing embroidery work, basically anything but tatting which she is still vexed she can't seem to master,and my dad went to art school so i've always been very into anything crafty or fine art. I learned some basics from my mom and taught myself the rest from online tuts. I like a more country primitive look so i do a bigger hand quilted stitch but i like the control of doing things by hand. I'm very big on diy...can be very cumbersome sometimes. It affects all things...food, crafty things, home decor. My mindset is someone else had to do it so why can't i do it too?....yeah my hubbs has some amazing patience! And just noticed kuklabell i am from middletown ny! Moved to long island after marrying my honey!

Grandma Peg 12-23-2013 04:44 PM

Very nice projects and quilting. The panel looks very nice.

Jackie Spencer 12-23-2013 04:54 PM

Both are just beautiful! You are a very talented young lady!