Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Undgerground Railroad Quilts from Quilt Guild Show 2009 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/undgerground-railroad-quilts-quilt-guild-show-2009-a-t19671.html)

Mousie 05-03-2009 09:44 AM

these are great pics, and so inspirational.
I haven't read much about URR quilts, just a little in my quilt mags...can you use any blocks you want, or are there specific ones, that make it a URR as opposed to just a plain sampler.
I know different blocks are supposed to have different meanings.
GCathie, are you night owling again? Don't you ever get any sleep? You stay so busy. Only shows I have been to, are right here on this board. Thanks for the trip, lol! :D

quiltswithdogs 05-03-2009 10:06 AM

I enjoyed seeing these beautiful historical quilts... I feel like I read a book.

littlehud 05-03-2009 10:51 AM

Beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie1 05-03-2009 10:56 AM

Simply amazing. Beautiful quilts!

omak 05-03-2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
these are great pics, and so inspirational.
I haven't read much about URR quilts, just a little in my quilt mags...can you use any blocks you want, or are there specific ones, that make it a URR as opposed to just a plain sampler.
I know different blocks are supposed to have different meanings.
GCathie, are you night owling again? Don't you ever get any sleep? You stay so busy. Only shows I have been to, are right here on this board. Thanks for the trip, lol! :D

Eleanor Burns has a sampler book called "Underground Railroad Sampler QUilt" and in the book, she tells the story behind the blocks. Much of what is known about the Undergroud Railroad quilts has been word of mouth, and some it may or may not be factual ... however, we should never remember the need for the underground railroad ... or that not everyone felt the same about the human condition ...
I believe that if you look at every block in the sampler quilts, you would know those blocks by another name ... so many blocks are like that.

Mousie 05-03-2009 12:07 PM

thanks, omak. I only have one book by Eleanor Burns, but everybody here, that mentions her, speaks in glowing terms.
One of these days, I am going to have to get that book out and do something with it.
Yes, it is sad, why we have the URR quilts, whether these stories are true or not.
I think it gives ppl comfort to think that there were 'angels' along the way.
Who are any of us, to judge color. Isn't that what God blessed all of us, quilters with, a love of? That would be downright silly. :wink:

mgshaw 05-03-2009 12:47 PM

Those are great Cathie!!!!! Brings back memories when we did ours here, Boy! that was fun!!!!! :D :D

gcathie 05-03-2009 11:08 PM

:-)....So glad you all are enjoying them......:-)

Sharon M 05-04-2009 04:42 AM

thanks for sharing these pictures with us, I just love my "quilt board quilt show trips" :D

sandpat 05-04-2009 04:55 AM

Thanks for sharing those. I still have the URR quilt on my to-do list.. was this a catagory in the quilt show or did the guild just have a URR challenge or something this year?