Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Unicorn quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/unicorn-quilt-t300914.html)

tippydog90 11-14-2018 09:25 AM

Unicorn quilt

5 Attachment(s)
I am almost finished quilting my daughters unicorn quilt. All of you gave me such wonderful advice when I was trying to determine how to quilt it. I went with echo quilting on each block. I tried some other designs (flowers, etc.) but I just felt like it made the blocks look too busy and detracted from the unicorns, so I ripped out stitches and tried the echoing. My question is some of the unicorns and castles have pretty large, applique pieces and they are not lying flat and are a bit wavy. I hadn't planned on quilting within the designs, but thought maybe I should do something very simple here and there so the unruly appliques lie a bit flatter - or should I even worry about it?? Thanks so much for any advice!

KyStitcher 11-14-2018 09:43 AM

Wonderful job! I wouldn't worry about it especially if your fabric hasn't been pre-washed!

Tartan 11-14-2018 09:52 AM

Very cute! I would outline stitch a few of the pieces like the windows in the castles, around the unicorns face or nose etc. between one fabric and another. It will take a bit of tieing and hiding the thread ends in the quilt but it will help anchor some of the larger appliqués. The small appliqués should be fine.

feline fanatic 11-14-2018 10:06 AM

I agree with Tartan.

And that has to be the cutest darn quilt I have seen in a long time. Has your daughter seen it yet or is it a surprise present for the holidays?

tippydog90 11-14-2018 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by KyStitcher (Post 8161378)
Wonderful job! I wouldn't worry about it especially if your fabric hasn't been pre-washed!

I did pre-wash it! Thank you!

tippydog90 11-14-2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8161385)
Very cute! I would outline stitch a few of the pieces like the windows in the castles, around the unicorns face or nose etc. between one fabric and another. It will take a bit of tieing and hiding the thread ends in the quilt but it will help anchor some of the larger appliqués. The small appliqués should be fine.

Thanks so much! That is what I was thinking. So the pieces are appliqued on using a tiny flower pattern in metallic thread (hard to see from the photos), do you think I should do the outline in metallic also?

tippydog90 11-14-2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 8161392)
I agree with Tartan.

And that has to be the cutest darn quilt I have seen in a long time. Has your daughter seen it yet or is it a surprise present for the holidays?

Thanks so much! She has definitely seen the quilt, I have been working on it over a year so I would have never been successful in hiding it.

BSKTLOFR-QUILTER 11-14-2018 10:12 AM

She is going to be soooo happy when she gets this quilt. Don't stress the small stuff too much.

charismah 11-14-2018 11:36 AM

That is adorable! I agree with Tartan. Just outline a few of the areas to tack it down and it will be just fine.

Jordan 11-14-2018 12:41 PM

That is so adorable and you are doing such a wonderful job on it.