Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Update on Issac's quilt/neuroblastoma quilts for kids (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/update-issacs-quilt-neuroblastoma-quilts-kids-t67253.html)

RatherB Quilting 09-28-2010 11:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys!
I just wanted to give you an update on Isaac's quilt. HIS TOP IS DONE!!!
I am SO thrilled with it!
Everyone was so wonderful and contributed so many beautiful fabrics! I had quite the pile! It took alot of agonizing over the fabrics to choose the ones for Isaac. I made the quilt bigger than I originally intended and made the sashing smaller in order to fit as many as I could without making it a little hard on the eyes. I chose to put a one inch sashing between each fabric. I felt it was the minimum to keep the patterns from interfering with each other. (more to come)

Here is the pile of wonderful fabrics everyone contributed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99792[/ATTACH]

showing the piles of five inch squares. Some larger squares (which will become thier own quilts)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99793[/ATTACH]

The fabrics laid out for Isaac's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99794[/ATTACH]

amma 09-28-2010 11:12 AM

Awwww that is going to be so cute! I can't wait to see more :D:D:D

RatherB Quilting 09-28-2010 11:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I chose a light blue for the sashing and I think it worked beautifully! When it came time for the border...I was stumped.
I tried so many fabrics as the border. Finally I dove into my stash. I had bought the starry fabric many months ago as a second backing for a Downy quilt. When I got it home, I realized it was actually quite expensive (and the other fabric I bought suited the quilt better) so it was put away for something special. Well...it was the only fabric I could find that was PERFECT! So, I feel that I bought it all those months ago for a purpose!

Here is the top with just the sashing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99923[/ATTACH]

Here is the perfect border!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99925[/ATTACH]

sewmuchmore 09-28-2010 11:20 AM

Awesome :thumbup: Sooooo cute. :lol:

RatherB Quilting 09-28-2010 11:20 AM

Ok. So...here is my question for you all. I am trying to decide if I should have it professionally quilted or if I can quilt it myself. I want to make sure that the quilting doesn't interfere with the prints. I was thinking if I did it myself, I would just SID around each square. Each square finishes at 4.5...so is that enough unquilted area for the batting to not bunch up?

I wanted to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart. I also wanted to tell all those kind people who offered fabric, but whom I didn't reply to...please don't think I am minimizing your offer of assistance. I was just so overwelmed with the responses, that I haven't had a chance to get back to everyone. Thank you all for all the fabric recieved and all the kind thoughts and offers for fabric.
I can't wait to give this to Isaac. Also, I have already started on the first of many quilts that are to be donated in Isaac's name to the hospital where he is being treated. I have alot of work ahead of me to get all this fabric made into a form a child can cuddle and love!
Oh...and I have asked Isaac's Mom for a photo!! I will try to post it on this thread (at the beginning) if I can when I get it!!
Love and hugs to you all!!!

MinnieKat 09-28-2010 11:36 AM

The quilt is gorgeous ... you did a GREAT job!!

NancyG 09-28-2010 11:49 AM

The quilt is just wonderful! I think SID would look nice. Love the fabric you chose for the border. Great job! You are such a kind and thoughtful person. Thank You!!!!!
I am sending hugs and prayers to Isaac and his family.

wolfkitty 09-28-2010 11:51 AM

Beautiful work on the quilt! It is absolutely wonderful!I'm sure he will love it! Thank you for all your work for such a great cause!

DoxieMom 09-28-2010 11:57 AM

Oh, yes! The border really sets it off! Nice job!

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
I chose a light blue for the sashing and I think it worked beautifully! When it came time for the border...I was stumped.
I tried so many fabrics as the border. Finally I dove into my stash. I had bought the starry fabric many months ago as a second backing for a Downy quilt. When I got it home, I realized it was actually quite expensive (and the other fabric I bought suited the quilt better) so it was put away for something special. Well...it was the only fabric I could find that was PERFECT! So, I feel that I bought it all those months ago for a purpose!

ann clare 09-28-2010 12:09 PM

WOW Beautiful quilt