Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Variation on Steppig UpI hadn't found a pattern or fabric that was very inspiring for (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/variation-steppig-upi-hadnt-found-pattern-fabric-very-inspiring-t304842.html)

DJ 05-21-2019 03:53 PM

Variation on Steppig UpI hadn't found a pattern or fabric that was very inspiring for

2 Attachment(s)
I hadn't found a pattern or fabric that was very inspiring for a quilt for my new grandson. Then at Ben Franklin one day, among their fabulous assortment of sale fabrics, I found the sweet fox fabric in white with a soft blue. Further exploration of the sale fabric revealed the blue dot and the darker blue tree fabrics. Add to that, the (regular price) yellow for the "steps", and I felt I was in business. I had seen some quilt books featuring quilts made from 1 yard of 3 different fabrics, and knew I could make one of those quilts. However, I had picked out 4 fabrics. I decided to go ahead and get 1 yard of each and figure out the rest later. When I got home and did a Google search for the pattern books, I found the site, all right, and the pattern I liked the best was offered for free. It's the "Stepping Up Quilt" from fabriccafe.com. I'm not sure it will always be offered free, as when I downloaded it, there is a price of $5.99 shown on the pattern.

In any event, I ended up dividing one of the blocks into two pieces in order to use the additional fabric I had purchased. I then had enough fabric to use for a narrow flange border, and enough of another fabric for the binding. I used a Minky fabric in blue for the backing, and Warm and Plush batting. The quilting was done on my Pfaff QE 4.2, using a decorative stitch on the yellow, and a random zig-zag on the other blocks (inspired by the book WALK: Master Machine Quilting with your Walking Foot by Jacquie Gering).

Judith1005 05-21-2019 03:57 PM

Sometimes, it really is the fabric that sparks the perfect quilt. I love the little fox print. It is just a darling quilt. I just love how all the fabrics "sing" perfectly together. Super cute quilt.

Darcyshannon 05-21-2019 04:05 PM

This looks like a great pattern for a quick donation quilt for my floral fabric.

QuiltnNan 05-21-2019 04:57 PM

nicely done, good job on adjusting for fabric

Jingle 05-21-2019 05:19 PM

Very pretty.

sue.ross.8782 05-21-2019 08:14 PM

You certainly scored big on the fabrics. When I was a teenager I worked at a Ben Franklin in my hometown, which has been long gone. I'm glad to know there's at least one left somewhere, and that folks who like to sew can still find fun fabrics. Great work, DJ!:D

quiltingcandy 05-21-2019 08:21 PM

I love the fabric in the quilt and the quilt too. You did a great job!
I was shocked when you wrote you bought it at a Ben Franklins. I used to go to the one in Lynnwood WA. But fairly sure it has been gone for a great many years.

Tartan 05-21-2019 08:42 PM

​Cute quilt!

Grandma Peg 05-21-2019 08:47 PM

Very nice baby quilt!

SillySusan 05-22-2019 02:21 AM

Adorable! Great job!