Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Vintage Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/vintage-quilt-t132258.html)

CorneliaVa 06-22-2011 05:34 AM

Looks like a twist on the grandmothers' fan thing -

Reminds me of those old-fashioned card-stock fans-on-sticks that churches used to hand out in the un-airconditioned facilities in the olden days ... especially at funerals (courtesy of the local mortician) and at weddings -- times when churches were packed and the air was hot and humid and people were under a lot of stress.....

I may be mis-remembering my childhood - or maybe it was just a Southern Thing ... ???

littlehud 06-22-2011 05:39 AM

What a beautiful quilt. Someone spent a lot of time on that one.

kateyb 06-22-2011 05:42 AM

I love doing fan type quilts so I'm bookmarking this one to nudge my memory. Fan to look like a flower.
Thanks for sharing.

Rose Cactus 06-22-2011 06:45 AM

Thats wonderful!

tealfalcon 06-22-2011 06:54 AM

looks like a grandmothers fan variation...its lovely

Toto's Mom 06-22-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by CorneliaVa

Reminds me of those old-fashioned card-stock fans-on-sticks that churches used to hand out in the un-airconditioned facilities in the olden days ... especially at funerals (courtesy of the local mortician) and at weddings -- times when churches were packed and the air was hot and humid and people were under a lot of stress.....

I may be mis-remembering my childhood - or maybe it was just a Southern Thing ... ???

I recall the same fans , so don't
think you are mis-remembering.
I don't know what the pattern is called, but I see some of the same fabrics my Mom and Grandmothers used in quilts, that were made in the 40's and 50's.
Looks like a vintage jewel to me. :thumbup:

nanababy 06-22-2011 11:00 AM

definitely a tweaked version of "grandmothers fan"....

merry 06-22-2011 11:29 AM

I remember those fans too but it may be a Southern thing ;)

fayzer 06-22-2011 12:23 PM

I thought of the very same thing. Church Fans.

quilt addict 06-22-2011 12:28 PM

The fabric in the "fans" looks like 40's fabric. I would guess someone got ahold of those and then modified the pattern at some later date due to the eyelet fabric and made those blocks. Very creative.