Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   On the wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/wall-t39588.html)

Maride 03-14-2010 06:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I was watching Patsy Thompson making her quilt sandwich on the wall at The Quilt Show. I really liked her method. Is always so difficult to do a large quilt on the floor and I don't have a large table. The idea of the wall worked like a charm. I was done in 30 minutes, all by myself and the back is perfect. This was a kit called Oklahoma Dugout combined with a pattern I picked up at Walmart. I am not big into scrappy quilts, but this one is for my MIL. She insisted I made her a quilt, and since she never likes anything, I made her something that includes everything. There have to be something in there she likes. I used mainly basting spray and a few safety pins. I started quilting tonight and love how is turning out on the machine.

RatherB Quilting 03-14-2010 06:54 PM

If MIL doesn't like it...I do! ;)

littlehud 03-14-2010 07:40 PM

What a great quilt. I love it. Great job. I always wanted to try sandwiching on a wall. Glad to hear it works well.

n2scraplvr 03-14-2010 08:35 PM

So good to hear the sandwiching only took 30 min. Will have to try that next time. Your MIL should love it! What a lot of work! It looks fantastic!! Nice job!! :D :D

mom-6 03-14-2010 09:43 PM

Exactly how do you go about doing the sandwiching on the wall? It sounds like something I would definitely like to try.

k3n 03-14-2010 11:55 PM

Fantastic quilt! I keep meaning to try sandwiching on the wall but always 'forget' until I'm on my knees in the middle of a quilt, pinning away! LOL

rootyr 03-15-2010 01:47 AM

Great quilt!

marsye 03-15-2010 05:39 AM

DITTO!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'll gladly pay shipping! :lol:

montanaquilter 03-15-2010 05:42 AM

i'll have to try sandwiching on the wall-sure sounds like it may be easier than the floor and straighter too!! bty-if your MIL doesn't just LOVE her quilt...I'll take it!! I do enjoy a scrappy quilt and yours is just beautiful!!

Maride 03-15-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Exactly how do you go about doing the sandwiching on the wall? It sounds like something I would definitely like to try.

I am very hard headed and hardly ever follow recommendations, but this time I did. I protected the walls with newspaper. Using masking tape I taped the top of my backing to the wall, making sure it was straight and wrinkle free. I then sprayed the backing with basting spray and covered it with the batting, smoothing it with my hands. Spray again and covred with the top of the quilt. Doing a lot of smoothing with my hands and placing pins to make sure it holds in place. It was hanging from the wall and I was afraid the glue would not hold, so I pinned it a little. The quilt was a little longer than I could reach, so once all I could reach was secured, I folded up a little to have the bottom hanging on the wall, and did it again for the lower part of the quilt. It was very easy and my back and knees were very happy.

Maria