Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   weighted textured quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/weighted-textured-quilt-t291914.html)

judykay 10-18-2017 06:06 AM

Wonderful quilt really turned out great. Did you use pellets for filling or just various kinds of heavy fabric. I helped a friend make one a few years ago and we did squares and filled each one with pellets for weight. Not fun.

osewme 10-18-2017 06:28 AM

What a fantastic quilt you & Micah put together. He did a great choice with the sashing colors & fabric selections. You've not only made a wonderful lifetime quilt for him but lifetime memories as well.

sJens 10-18-2017 10:58 AM

Beautiful quilt and will be extra special because your grandson had a hand in making it.

bearisgray 10-18-2017 01:42 PM

Awesome! :)

RuthiesRetreat3 10-18-2017 02:05 PM

Wow! What an accomplishment! For both of you. Congrats.

wildyard 10-18-2017 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by judykay (Post 7926847)
Wonderful quilt really turned out great. Did you use pellets for filling or just various kinds of heavy fabric. I helped a friend make one a few years ago and we did squares and filled each one with pellets for weight. Not fun.

No pellets, I used 2 regular and 1 flannel sheet instead of batting. Those plus the fleece backing and the fabric mix in the top added up to 7 lbs.

Blueridgebeverly 10-18-2017 06:07 PM

i think it's fantastic your grandson helped with design and piecing of the quilt. I didn't know that weighted quilts can be comforting. Donating to an organization that serves autistic kids is an interesting idea.

Taughtby Grandma 10-19-2017 05:30 AM

What a great quilt and fantastic teamwork. I'll bet he will treasure this quilt.

wildyard 10-19-2017 09:06 AM

I wanted to just add a few thoughts to this thread. My grandson Micah is 20, and he lives independently, has a job and moved to Oregon from Ohio to be with his partner and to further promote their independence by living where they have wanted to be, rather than sticking close to family. Sometimes the stresses from his job and dealing with people can be a little overwhelming at the end of the day, and that's when he finds himself wishing for the comforts of the weighted quilt and the soothing of textures to feel.
As I said, he is quite high functioning and has learned to manage pretty well. When he asked me about helping him make a weighted quilt, I was honored and delighted to say yes, of course I will. And of course I was so pleased that he was happy to spend that much of his visit back east with us, working on the quilt.
To see first hand the growth in his confidence from that first anxious handling of the ruler and rotary cutter and stitching with the sewing machine, to the point when he said, "You go have a relax with a cup of coffee, Nana, I'll call you if I need help." filled my heart with joy and pride. I had to convince him to even try to cut a piece of fabric and sew it, he was so sure he couldn't do it!!! He was so proud of those blocks he made, as was I!! I made sure every one of them made it into this quilt!

Grandma Peg 10-19-2017 08:24 PM

You both did a great job on this quilt.