Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Well use baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/well-use-baby-quilt-t1697.html)

ceannastahr 08-03-2007 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This baby quilt was made 13 years ago for oldest grandson Matt. It has been used by all 3 of his brothers and both of his sisters. I was suprised at how well it has held up. I had to trade a cookie to get quilt long enough for the pic.

Made Feb 1994 and still being used everyday
[ATTACH=CONFIG]948[/ATTACH]

ccbear66 08-03-2007 05:07 PM

Great job. Isn't it nice to know that someone treasures the time that you spent to make this. Quilts are meant to be used but so many people are afraid to use them. I think that it is great that this quilt has seen so much love.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 08-04-2007 08:24 AM

how wonderful. I like the cookie trade!

My kids sure use their quilts. I do have one that is put up...MIL made it for my DD...the first grand baby...and I don't think she wanted it "used"....spit up can stain pretty quilts...the rest of our's are broken in, though! LOL! I do need to get something to hang it up in DD's room, though...it's hiding in the closet and I hate that....

Steve 08-04-2007 08:57 AM

I'm wondering if Scotch guarding a baby quilt is advisable? Going to pack the one up in the next week or so after washing and thought about it. Accidents of all kinds happen with babies and doing what I can to make it last as long as possible is what I'm thinking. Does it take away from the soft feel when you Scotch guard? If so, I probably won't.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 08-04-2007 09:00 AM

Steve~ I don't know. I would also like to know how well this works, though. I'd like to spray something like that on the "not to be used" baby quilt before hanging.

Anyone know?

lin 08-04-2007 09:16 AM

What a well-loved quilt ceanna. That's the best kind. Still so soft and pretty!

I only wish my first quilt had held up a fraction as well as yours did. Mine is going on 16 and looks like she's going on 90! LOL It's in my closet waiting to be repaired, but I don't have the heart to do anything to it. I think my dgd will get it back in the shape it's in. After all, that shows how much it was loved (and NOT how poorly I made it!), right? RIGHT??? :lol:

ceannastahr 08-04-2007 09:45 AM

knowing how much it would get washed I used my triple stich on the machine so it would hold up to the beating. I only use that stich on baby quilts. Use a little more thread but well worth it.

Believe me that quilt has taken quite a beating through the 6 kids. My daughter uses a shout everytime she throws it in the wash and thats about every other day. We figured it out it has been washed over 29500 times.

Knot Sew 08-04-2007 01:19 PM

unless scotch guard is non toxic I would not use it on a baby or childs quilt. Everything has to be tasted when your little. :wink:

ShellyQ 08-04-2007 04:30 PM

All I can say Ceanna is that it must be one really well made quilt. Is so nice to see a quilt that's been used and loved by the people we make them for. I bet the little ones have had years of enjoyment out of your quilt

Diane007 09-22-2012 12:32 PM

wow your quilt is doing well
and just a cookie to get your picture....