Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What am I doing wrong??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-am-i-doing-wrong-t107508.html)

mmonohon 03-13-2011 11:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have been quilting for years but I am a better piecer than quilter. So here is the issue.......When I quilt (not fmq), I tend to get the one awful looking stitch after I pivot a corner. I try to make sure that I am not pulling too much and that the fabric is laying flat.

Any advise?

that one awful stitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169611[/ATTACH]

The whole tablerunner.... most of the pivots are bad and is driving me crazy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169612[/ATTACH]

ChubbyBunny 03-13-2011 11:13 PM

Hmm, I honestly don't see what you are referring to. Your stitches look good to me.

Quiltforme 03-13-2011 11:15 PM

it looks like what I do when I go past the 1/4" mark I am trying to follow I think you are looking too close to the quilt. I had to look pretty hard to see the stitch maybe mark the corners with a pin to mark 1;4" were you need to pivot. I like your quilting you do a great job!

Maia B 03-13-2011 11:18 PM

Hmmm, no clue! Could it be your machine? I'm a better piecer, too. Tried fmq for the first time a few days ago, was AWFUL. I threw the sample in the rabbit cage to be chewed and peed on. Hand appliquéd for the rest of the weekend. I know it takes practice, and I got great advice and support from this board. Your problem surely has an easier and more immediate remedy. The board will come through! Btw, like your quilt, pretty!

SueDor 03-14-2011 01:46 AM

Personally I think your are being to hard on yourself. But if it bothers you maybe by each corner mark it so you know where to stop.

patricej 03-14-2011 02:00 AM

the dreaded extra stitch. i know it well. :lol:

the good news is that nobody will ever notice or worry about it but you.

the better news is that if it's only one stitch too many, and you notice it before you start stitching the next section of your line, it's fairly easy to fix.

slow down as you approach the pivot point. if necessary, do one stitch at a time for the last quarter inch or so. if your machine doesn't have a reliable needle up/down button, do it manually by turning the wheel in the proper direction.

make sure to stop stitching with the needle down.

life the presser foot, pivot the fabric, put the foot back down.

if you realize you are one stitch too far, manually back the needle up out of the sandwich to undo the extra stitch. carefully reposition the quilt. manually lower the needle so that it goes down in the correct spot. manually turn the wheel to bring the needle all the way down and then back up to complete that stitch.

proceed.

Mamagus 03-14-2011 02:36 AM

Patrice knows! Perfect answer there for you!

Marion Jean 03-14-2011 02:57 AM

someone once told me if you can't see it while riding by on a galloping horse, then it's fine. and by the way, your table runner is really nice, and I think it looks just fine!

mosquitosewgirl 03-14-2011 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
the dreaded extra stitch. i know it well. :lol:

the good news is that nobody will ever notice or worry about it but you.

the better news is that if it's only one stitch too many, and you notice it before you start stitching the next section of your line, it's fairly easy to fix.

slow down as you approach the pivot point. if necessary, do one stitch at a time for the last quarter inch or so. if your machine doesn't have a reliable needle up/down button, do it manually by turning the wheel in the proper direction.

make sure to stop stitching with the needle down.

life the presser foot, pivot the fabric, put the foot back down.

if you realize you are one stitch too far, manually back the needle up out of the sandwich to undo the extra stitch. carefully reposition the quilt. manually lower the needle so that it goes down in the correct spot. manually turn the wheel to bring the needle all the way down and then back up to complete that stitch.

proceed.

Couldn't have said it better!

CarrieAnne 03-14-2011 03:01 AM

your table runner is really pretty!