Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What to do, what to do... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-do-what-do-t70981.html)

SuziC 10-19-2010 02:42 AM

It's your quilt...do whatever you think is best..they are going to Love it either way :!:

Jingle 10-19-2010 03:01 AM

Beautiful quilt. Quilt it however you want, I'm sure it will be just as pretty however you do it. I always machine quilt mine, so much faster and much easier on my hands.

mygirl66 10-19-2010 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by shequilts
The quilt is so beautiful. I would continue hand quilting if it took until Easter. Your in-laws will appreciate the effort. While I love machine quilting, hand quilting is still my favorite. Also, combination quilting may or may not work very well. The machine stitching is tighter and the quilt will likely not wash satisfactorily. The center will always be softer.
Take a photo and wrap it up with a nice note of explanation. They'll still love it!

I agree 100% ! :thumbup:

ckcowl 10-19-2010 03:49 AM

alot of the most beautiful quilts out there contain hand and machine quilting! if you want to do both, do it. it will be beautiful and done in time :)
i think people who snub quilts that contain both methods, or the one they do not approve of really limit themselves. it's sad people are not more open minded about mixed techniques. if you visit some of the most famous (quilts in the best 100 of the century) contain both methods of quilting...and polyester thread! shhhhhhh...don't tell the (quilt police)

rebeccalr 10-19-2010 06:54 AM

Thanks for all of the insight, Gals! I think I am going to quilt feverishly for the next month and see where I am. I will probably at least have to do the outer border by machine, but maybe I can get the inner border finished by hand. I think the borders will go quick anyway. It is all the twisting and turning of the intricate inner quilting that takes so long. Just as I have said every year...I am going to start Christmas projects earlier next year!!

Fiber Artist 10-19-2010 07:01 AM

Very nice quilt,they will like it either way you do it.

Annaquilts 10-19-2010 07:13 AM

I do all the time. It is just not realistic for me to do whole quilts especially since many of my loved ones prefer very large quilts ex. extra long and wide twins and super sized Cal King.

Mariposa 10-19-2010 07:38 AM

Beautiful!!

luckylindy333 10-19-2010 02:28 PM

It is a beautiful quilt and they will be happy to get it! One caveat that I have is to be sure and start in the center and work you way out- I don't think it would work to do the borders first and then the inside. I don't know if I got it correctly that was what you said that you were going to do?

nativetexan 10-19-2010 02:30 PM

i did the opposite. machine quilted the quilt and hand quilted the border on one quilt.i still have it and love it!