Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What to do when you are given a zillion jean squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-do-when-you-given-zillion-jean-squares-t190337.html)

mrsj82 05-29-2012 06:40 PM

What to do when you are given a zillion jean squares

4 Attachment(s)
My hand hurts. Like really bad. I think it's formed into a claw...this is a serious condition that can only be caused by one thing. A rag quilt has been created.

See a while back my mom gave me a stack of jean squares that was about as tall as the Empire State building. Okay maybe not that high, just as tall as the Sears Tower. She wanted to get them made into something, but couldn't fathom how/what/when of the actual application. Seeing as how I'm crafty (or at least pretend to be) she thought I could make something out of them.

So after a while I decided to start putting this jean quilt together. I drew out a few patterns, but each one I drew out made the quilt the size of Texas. I don't know about you, but Texas just won't fit into my apartment. So I had to scale it back. I ended up using half the squares that were pre-cut...and have a few pairs of jeans left to do something with. I used flannel for the backing and decided not to do a batting because it was already going to be heavy enough, I didn't want to add the extra weight.

I started to assemble said quilt. And then lost steam. I started a job that made me so stressed I was physically ill all the time. I couldn't get enough sleep let alone do dishes or feed the husband. So yeah I didn't really have time for quilty type projects...so this kind of just sat there at the sewing machine. And then I quit the stressful as all get out job, and found time on my hands again.

And then this past week, I rearranged the sewing space. And it was organized and calling out to me to create something. So I decided to finish this up. It's a monster...it weighs a ton, and my hand hurts from clipping all the seams for two days straight. (That's right, two days!) But I think it's beautiful. And it matches my sofa...and it's soft and cuddly...(and after I cleaned out four lint traps worth of threads it's finally stopped shedding...) And I honestly didn't plan the layout...it just kinda came out like this. Although I think that's half it's charm. It measures 72''X78''...and is big enough to cover up the husband, but honestly I like it as a chair cover, so he may not get to actually use it.

What do you think?

IrelandDragonQuilting 05-29-2012 06:43 PM

I love your story! LOL your too funny! The quilt you created is beautiful I just adore jean rag quilts, but have never gotten the nerve up to make one myself.

debcavan 05-29-2012 06:43 PM

Oh my heavens, is that cool. And it will wear well. What a great idea

MaryMo 05-29-2012 06:44 PM

And congratulations ... you've just made your first rag quilt! It turned out great and will wear ... and wear ... and wear.
Enjoy your accomplishment!

jenOSU 05-29-2012 06:45 PM

Wonderful! My mom made a jean "quilt", backing was a sheet and tied it with red yarn. You are right they are a beast and HEAVY but love them! I thin I will make my boys one out of all their ripped jeans. Lord knows they are never hand me downs with boys!

mrsj82 05-29-2012 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 5252613)
And congratulations ... you've just made your first rag quilt! It turned out great and will wear ... and wear ... and wear.
Enjoy your accomplishment!

Not my first rag quilt, but my first jean rag quilt. And thanks, I hope it keeps wearing...I accidentally clipped some seams, so had to go back and fix them...so hope I found all the "flubs". :-)

barny 05-29-2012 06:50 PM

I think it is gorgeous! You really did a good job. It would fit on a bed or your chair or anything. What a lot of work! But aren't you glad you did it? Now you will be inspired to do something else.

beatys9 05-29-2012 07:29 PM

A quilter and a humorist - you're talented!

I just noticed you're in Pleasant Grove - a wonderful place of memories from my childhood visits to Grandparents in the 1960's!

Judith1005 05-29-2012 07:37 PM

I just love it. You did an awesome job. This is definitely on my to do list before arthritis takes away the opportunity to try. Thanks for the inspiration.

liont 05-29-2012 07:52 PM

Just have to say thank you for such a witty writeup. Brought a smile to my face!