Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   What not to do Quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/what-not-do-quilt-t54107.html)

reevesfarm 07-12-2010 10:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to add piping to the binding...making it up as I went along I became the "Rube Goldberg" of sewing. Of course a method that would only require 2 steps verses the bazillion I used here became clear as soon as I was finished.

Still I love the colors and the buttons...

brushandthimble 07-12-2010 10:13 AM

cute quilt! nice color too. thanks for sharing

MinnieKat 07-12-2010 10:14 AM

I love it! So bright and cheery!

Ditter43 07-12-2010 10:14 AM

Wow....that is bright and pretty!!! It looks great!! :thumbup:

MISHNJIM 07-12-2010 10:17 AM

Was the pipping hard to do? I know you said that you did it a different way...BUT??? LOL

athenagwis 07-12-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by reevesfarm
Of course a method that would only require 2 steps verses the bazillion I used here became clear as soon as I was finished.

This happens to me all the time too, I will spend tons of extra time and effort on something, then realize I could have done it in 5 seconds another way. LOL Your quilt looks lovely though!! :)

Rachel

Pam 07-12-2010 10:59 AM

A fun quilt, very cheerful. Love the red.

mimee4 07-12-2010 11:01 AM

Looks great. Pretty red.

reevesfarm 07-12-2010 11:02 AM

*snort*...still a theory but goes something like this:

Going to cut my fabric for binding but cut it wider than I normally would. Then I am going to turn it into piping. Then I will open the piping, take one side and fold and press a 1/4" seam the length of the piping...this will be the finished edge on the right side of the quilt.

Open the binding, with the right side facing the back of the quilt I would line up the single raw edge with the edge of the quilt and sew around. Fold the binding/piping over and sew around the front of the quilt on the 1/4" fold.

I will have to experiment to see how much wider to cut my fabric. It might be more durable to cut it wide enough that the raw edges could both be folded in half to the inside giving it the double thickness....

It may be that I need to go back and top stitch or "sew in the ditch" around the applied pipping to keep it in place...like I said it is all a theory but I don't know why it can't work.

athenagwis 07-12-2010 11:15 AM

Could you cut a one inch strip of fabric, fold it in half completely. Then cut your normal binding width for a straight folded binding (I use 2.25 inch). Fold this in half as well. Layer the one inch strip on the front of the quilt, so the raw edges touch the raw edge of the quilt, then layer the binding on top of that, again with raw edges touching the raw edge of the quilt. Sew your 1/4 inch seam all around. This catches all the raw edges. Fold over ONLY the binding edge and hand stitch to the back, leaving the smaller piping on the front. With the one inch piping strip, you'd get about 1/4 inch of piping showing on the front.

Would something like that work?

Rachel