Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Will the Real 15 clone please stand up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/will-real-15-clone-please-stand-up-t164361.html)

Janis 02-08-2012 09:31 PM

Good luck with that machine irishrose. It sounds pretty. I hope it works as well.
Janis

miriam 02-09-2012 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 4957184)
I brought home the Montgomery Wards 15 clone tonight. I haven't purchased it yet. I want to try FMQ with it first. Tension was off - I got that, didn't advance well - whoops, the feed dogs were down, but 1) it sounds like a tank and 2)where is the thread cutter?

It's a pretty little thing. Shiny black with moderate silver trim.

Pic??? Some don't have thread cutters. I bet you can get one some place. Glad you found and rescued that one. You will really like it once you get it moving. Sounds like a tank? Did you oil every moving part you can find under, inside the nose, inside the top? Check the pulley to be sure it is tight on the shaft. Clean out the bobbin shuttle - look in a manual - those pop apart to clean - lint could make it make noise. Use a flash light to shine in the holes to see that the oil hits the moving target. Move the machine as you oil so you can see what parts move - oil the friction points. Those machines move so sweet when they are oiled.

irishrose 02-09-2012 04:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]310368[/ATTACH]The MW is as clean as a whistle. It was serviced before being stored which may be her problem. You do a machine no favors when you oil it and then not use it. I will keep sewing a little at a time and looking for more places to oil. It sews well, but stiff and noisy. The base is a little rough, but the case is in great shape with no odor. If I buy it, I will recover them.

The Admiral wouldn't sew today and it did when I bought it last summer. I discovered the belt is loose so I need to shift the motor back. I scraped off that RWB decal and the machine looks much better. It is the prettier of the two black machines [ATTACH=CONFIG]310368[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]310369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]310370[/ATTACH]with her Art Deco decals and faceplate. THe turquoise and gold trim is a nice touch. This one has not been cleaned. The tension spring is not in the right position and not engaged, but it sews without it. I will get brave and take the tension apart. Those are good directions you linked on the first page, Miriam.

The Universal's motor is laying on a chair. I had a new cord put in it and I don't want to put the motor on until I clean the machine. As you can see, she needs it, but everything is in perfect condition so she will clean up well.

I see only the MW as a 15 clone.

Nanamoms 02-09-2012 07:34 PM

Irishrose, your Universal is just like my Mama's which I'm going to get. It's in a desk type cabinet. Can't wait to get her to my house! I'm pretty sure the manual is with her, too!

LeslieFrost 02-09-2012 07:45 PM

Say hello to My Sweet Ada!

2 Attachment(s)
My 15-91 is a Centennial edition. She was purchased in 1950-51 by my Mom and Dad. I call her My Sweet Ada and I sew on her every day. The cabinet and stool are the originals also.

irishrose 02-09-2012 08:28 PM

Leslie, that's a very pretty one. How nice that it's a family machine.

Nanamoms, good, then when I need help with the zz stitches, I'd like to contact you. I don't have a manual and didn't think I'd need one. We'll see. It seems that you have move certain things in certain ways in order to get her to do her thing. When I sewed on my mother's White which was very much the same, I must have stuck to straight stitch sewing or my memory is failing. I'll play after I get the motor back on. The light cord and plug in cord are fine, but the motor cord was totally bare and was attached deep in the motor with solder so I had my appliance repairman replace it. He'd never done a SM, but a motor is a motor.

Now the MW is sewing very well and is quiet except that the motor is noisy at lower speeds. The machine is quiet and at high speed sounds good. It was not clean. How can a store charge money and not remove the needle plate? It was packed with lint.

Nanamoms 02-14-2012 03:00 AM

Universal Manual

Hi, irishrose, I will be glad to share my manual with (if there is still one there...I think there was). I need to go get the machine and cabinet from my brother's home (it's his now...he bought out our part) so now that my grandson is living with me and has a truck, we can go get it. I will let you know when it gets here!!

I've got so many machines, I am starting to have trouble finding a place for them all. And I'm constantly on the lookout for more...sad, isn't it??

BoJangles 02-14-2012 12:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]311855[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]311854[/ATTACH]Here is my 15 clone. A blue Morse! I think she is really pretty!

miriam 02-14-2012 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4975063)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]311855[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]311854[/ATTACH]Here is my 15 clone. A blue Morse! I think she is really pretty!

I like that - very nice details on this machine!!! Does she sew as good as she looks?

MrsBoats 02-14-2012 01:32 PM

I LOVE the face plate on the Morse! That's too cool for words.