Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WIP - advice on setting blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/wip-advice-setting-blocks-t35741.html)

JoyVoltenburg 02-01-2010 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my latest WIP. I've got 3 sets of blocks for 18 total blocks - 12 of which are applique (right now they're just fused in place - still have to finish them). I've got it set on point and I was auditioning some setting triangle fabric - which I think I'll go with the cream instead of the print. My question, though, is do you think I should use some sashing with cornerstones blocks in between all of the blocks? If I did use sashing, I thought I'd use the same background cream and then maybe use the purple or a combination of purple and green intersecting blocks. If I do that, what kind of block should I use - a simple pinwheel or a star or flying geese? Or should I just leave it as is? What do you think?

janRN 02-01-2010 07:15 PM

Wow-those are beautiful blocks. I'm no expert but I wonder if sashing and cornerstone blocks would be too busy?? It would divide up the quilt too much I think and detract from the flow of the different blocks. I love your color choices and the cream setting triangles would finish it off nicely. I like how the eye just flows from one block to the other.
There are much more knowledgeable (sp?) people on this board who can probably give you better advice.
I really love what you've done. Good luck with whatever you chose and please post a pic when done.

dakotamaid 02-01-2010 07:16 PM

Verrrrrrrry pretty! love those colors and your piecing looks perfect. I think the layout is wonderful.

JoyVoltenburg 02-01-2010 07:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I wondered if adding cornerstones would make it too cluttered looking, but needed a second opinion. I'll be a while doing the machine applique before I can put this all together, but I'll post pics when I get it together.

littlehud 02-01-2010 07:21 PM

Your blocks are awesome and the layout is great. I wouldn't change a thing.

JoyVoltenburg 02-01-2010 07:23 PM

Thanks! I wasn't sure about the colors - I found the outer border fabric on sale and just loved it. I had absolutely no purple in my stash so, I bought a couple of other purple fabrics to go with it. The rest of it came from my evergrowing stash. I'm planning on giving it to my granddaughter who will turn ten in March. That gives me a deadline to get her done. :-)

susie0808 02-01-2010 07:31 PM

Cream triangles would look nice. You want the focus on the blocks. As for the sash why not look at the darkest fabric in the blocks? That might work too. Just a suggestion.

jewelps 02-01-2010 08:20 PM

i think the way you have it looks fine to me :-) :-)

Debbie1 02-01-2010 08:52 PM

Your blocks are gorgeous!

Miss Kitty 02-01-2010 10:19 PM

Love your blocks, and colors. I wouldn't change a thing.