Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WIP batting advice/question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/wip-batting-advice-question-t215520.html)

rbechore 03-05-2013 12:27 AM

WIP batting advice/question

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am making this baby quilt and I used the inexpensive high loft polyester batting from Walmart. I stitched in the ditch around each block and around the borders. I have seven inch blocks and I am a little concerned that the batting in the blocks might bunch after washings. I don't have any experience in quilting yet just using my walking foot so I can't really quilt the white space. Do you think it will bunch? What can I do if it will be a problem? The only other thing I can think of is to put my quilting guide on the walking foot and do another row insided the blocks to make the unquilted space smaller, what do you think? Not sure how this would look. Any advice is gladly welcomed.

Thanks
Rick

QM 03-05-2013 01:07 AM

Yes, I think it is possible. I would also outline the motifs or make diagonal quilting line from the 4 block corners TO the motifs.

orangeroom 03-05-2013 02:08 AM

Good luck with your problem. Not sure if I'm going to be much help. I took a class years ago that specified how many square inches you can leave open with the different batting. We didn't cover high loft. However, low loft poly can be quilted up to 4-6" apart, hobbs heierloom cotton blend can be quilted up to 3 1/2" apart and quilters dream cotton can be quilted up to 8" apart.

I'd almost call my LQS and ask what the recommended quilting is for high loft batting. That way you'll know for sure.

Berkie 03-05-2013 03:23 AM

If you still have the bag that it came in, it should be on there.

QuiltnNan 03-05-2013 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 5905183)
Yes, I think it is possible. I would also outline the motifs or make diagonal quilting line from the 4 block corners TO the motifs.

darling quilt... this is what i was thinking also... but i was thinking diagonals from the middle of the side to the middle of the next side.

ckcowl 03-05-2013 04:16 AM

read the packaging...how close does it tell you it has to be quilted? some batts allow up to 10" between quilting lines- in which case yours will be fine- some need to be quilted every 2"-4"...if that is what you have you need to add more quilting...always check the batting package for the recommendation to ensure you have a batt that will (fit your plan)
if you need to add more you could do straight (diagonal) lines inside each block-starting at the sashing and going to the edge of each applique-that would take care of it (if it needs 2"-4" quilting)

Judyth 03-05-2013 04:18 AM

Could you quilt a diamond pattern ie: center top to center left side, left to bottom left center, bottom to right center, right side center to top center in the blocks not touching the motif's. It is a darling quilt and you have done a great job. Try a scrap and see if it will work. On second look, you probably can't do it from center to center but you could measure the widest & tallest motif and then find a distance that work work for them and follow the same on the others.

DebbE 03-05-2013 04:44 AM

I'd do FMQ on the inside of the blocks and along the borders, too. At the very least, do echo quilting, to mimic what is inside each block and FMQ the borders. The quilt will get washed a LOT - and what a shame if it bunches up after a few months of use, and is ruined. It isn't worth the risk.

nabobw 03-05-2013 04:47 AM

very very cute and I would stitch around the mofits

rbechore 03-05-2013 05:02 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice. I checked the bag and it says 3" to 6" so it looks like I will have to do something with it to ensure it will stay in place. I think I will try stitching around the embroidery motifs, this will give me plenty of stability. I will post a pic of the finished project.
Thanks again :)
Rick