Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WIP to use up scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/wip-use-up-scraps-t3718.html)

nanabirdmo 12-23-2007 08:06 PM

rein, you may certainly PM me. glad to be of assistance.
not quite sure what you mean about "Did you have anything between the muslin and the scrap strips?" the strips of scrap fabric are sewn to a muslin base. that's string piecing. we discussed in another thread awhile back. it is sort of like paper piecing only the muslin stays put as the foundation.
this is absolutely the fastest quilt i have ever made. i literally finished to the point of taking the picture in one day. about 6 hours. that is part of the fun. satisfies my need for immediate gratification. ;-)

redrummy 12-23-2007 08:36 PM

since you were able to sew it fast, and got satisfaction there, go slow and hand quilt it. You will get great joy, and knowing you have done a beautiful quilt (we all think it is by the way) will warm you when you use it or give it away. I hand quilted one, and enjoyed doing it each evening as I watched tv or sat and talked to hubby. I felt so good knowing I put that effort into it, I think you will feel it too.
Deb :mrgreen:

nanabirdmo 12-23-2007 09:18 PM

thanks for the encouragement, red. i think that's what i will do.

Diamonds 12-23-2007 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
rein, you may certainly PM me. glad to be of assistance.
not quite sure what you mean about "Did you have anything between the muslin and the scrap strips?" the strips of scrap fabric are sewn to a muslin base. that's string piecing. we discussed in another thread awhile back. it is sort of like paper piecing only the muslin stays put as the foundation.
this is absolutely the fastest quilt i have ever made. i literally finished to the point of taking the picture in one day. about 6 hours. that is part of the fun. satisfies my need for immediate gratification. ;-)

That is one thing I have never done is string piecing..The instructions seem simple enough but my brain refuses to grasp it :lol:

I think yours is beautiful.. I would leave it as is...

barnbum 12-24-2007 05:42 AM

That is one thing I have never done is string piecing..The instructions seem simple enough but my brain refuses to grasp it
I'm where you're at Diamonds! If it's not rotary cut and basic sewing I'm clueless. Paper piecing...foundation...sewing pieces onto muslin... my brain doesn't have the section capable of grasping such ideas. :shock:

(she has moments of persistent wonder)
You sew the pieces right onto the muslin :?: Do you fold the edges under? Do you use a regular stitch?

nanabirdmo 12-24-2007 06:06 AM

okay diamonds and barnbum,
please go up to the search option at the top of the page and click. type in "string piecing" and many links will come up. they are from this forum and several explain how to do string piecing or "flip and sew". please, please try it. it is by far the easiest method you will ever use. i would explain it in my own words but i could never do as good a job as the ones who have gone before;) you will zip thru your scraps in "no time flat", as my old granny would say.

barnbum 12-24-2007 06:09 AM

You're giving us homework? But, (add whine) I'm on vacation and I got all my corrections and lesson plans done before I left the classroom...

Thinking to herself...
but it is about quilting.... which I can do more of since I'm on break...and I did get all thsoe scraps down....

I'm headed there now! Thank you, nanabirdmo! :wink:

nanabirdmo 12-24-2007 06:18 AM

yes my dear, and there will be a test......... NOT :!: :!: :!:

barnbum 12-24-2007 06:21 AM

Okay--here's a great site I found from the search--in case anyone wants to skip that part!

http://quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml

Do I get an A?? :D

Or do I have to actually apply what I learned? :?

nanabirdmo 12-24-2007 06:43 AM

i'd say you definitelly get an A+++ that is a great web site. explains way better than i ever could. the only thing i did differently with the strips in my quilt, i started at one end and didn't draw a line.
i am so anxious to see your quilt, get busy :lol: :lol: :lol: