Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   WIP wall hanging...Applique questions. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/wip-wall-hanging-applique-questions-t114008.html)

Cheshire Cat 04-06-2011 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Making this for a friend who is an editor.

That is why I wrote the quote.

This is Moda Puncutation charm pack and the Dresden flowers made with the easy ruler.

Haven't measured it but it is about a yard square. I plan to add a border.

Lots of applique, I'm still new at it. Any advice?
I still have to the leaves for applique and frame the quote.

Do I pin it all on or do I just pin one piece at a time and hope to get the spacing right?

Do you use a hoop when you applique? I didn't for the center of the flowers but I"m not sure about putting the bigger pieces on.

Editor's wallhanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180460[/ATTACH]

Cheshire Cat 04-06-2011 11:25 AM

oh, one more quesiton. Would you quilt this first and then add the applique or applique and quilt around it? I plan to do a simple machine quilt of rays from the sun and probably around the flowers and the flower centers.

DeeBooper 04-06-2011 12:45 PM

It is going to be very beautiful but I'm sorry I'm not the one to answer your question. Don't know much about applique but I love it.

mimom 04-06-2011 01:00 PM

when I am appliquing several pieces that have to line up, I use a thick plastic vinyl that I purchased at joanns, its 14 gage and 48" wide sells by the yard. I lay it over the pattern and trace with a thin sharpie. Then when I need to add another piece to applique I lay the vinyl over the quilt and can then slide the new piece to be appliqued into the correct place. I do not pin all at once and often use Elmers washable stick glue to aid with keeping pieces in place if I have a pin in the way of my sewing.

amma 04-06-2011 01:00 PM

Are you hand or machine sewing these down?
If it is by machine, I would Pin one of the elements, sew and then pin the next one.
I find that all of the pins, appliques, extra fabric can get in the way while spinning the top around while sewing. The pieces get tweaked and wrinkled up too...

You can also use Elmers School glue to temporarily hold the pieces in place. Put little dots of glue under the pieces and set the glue with a dry iron. It is easier than working around pins :D:D:D

I would do the applique first and then quilt :D:D:D

marilynr 04-06-2011 01:06 PM

Love your unique use of Dresden plate design.

Cheshire Cat 04-06-2011 07:07 PM

hand applique. I'm think Ill put pins to remind me where everything goes and then pin and sew one piece at a time then follow with machine quilting.

Ladyjanedoe 04-06-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by inemmausinn
hand applique. I'm think Ill put pins to remind me where everything goes and then pin and sew one piece at a time then follow with machine quilting.

Really consider getting some Roxanne Glue Bast It. I just finished my first hand applique wallhanging and that stuff is terrific. I had tried to do one before with pins and the thread kept hooking on everything. Really annoying.
Your wallhanging is wonderful! You're a born appliquer!!

debcavan 04-06-2011 07:16 PM

The quilt is so cute. Sorry no advice

FayZ 09-11-2011 06:26 AM

I noticed this post was in April. I was wondering if you posted a finished picture. If not I would love to see it. I love dresdens and yours is beautiful.