Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   woohoo! my first crazy quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/woohoo-my-first-crazy-quilt-t14232.html)

Missi 12-09-2008 09:24 AM

Love it !!!!!!!

fabricluvr 12-09-2008 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
SO CUTE! And what a great gift. Did you embroider the center? I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea for next year!

yes, i'm having fun this year using the 'new to me' embroidery machine i got off of craigslist. have spent a small fortune in thread, stabilizer and hoops, but it's lots of fun. except today, i got 10/11ths of the way through an embroidered snowman and my needle bent because the thread got tangled. ugh. put that one in the trash!

but it's still fun!

twistedstitcher 12-09-2008 11:23 AM

yes, i'm having fun this year using the 'new to me' embroidery machine i got off of craigslist. have spent a small fortune in thread, stabilizer and hoops, but it's lots of fun. except today, i got 10/11ths of the way through an embroidered snowman and my needle bent because the thread got tangled. ugh. put that one in the trash
I have an embroidery machine too, it's definitely an expensive hobby but lots of fun as well. And I've had more than my share of disasters too! Your potholders are such a creative idea, I'm definitely going to make some next year.

Nita 12-11-2008 05:26 AM

Patty ~ Nice job on the crazy quilt potholders and what a wonderful gift. I'm going to buy that template for sure.
My question for you: How did you get the binding to look so neat & perfectly matched? At first I thought you had pieced scraps, but on closer look I am wondering if you used the "pillowcase" turn method instead of adding binding? Nita

fabricluvr 12-11-2008 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nita
Patty ~ Nice job on the crazy quilt potholders and what a wonderful gift. I'm going to buy that template for sure.
My question for you: How did you get the binding to look so neat & perfectly matched? At first I thought you had pieced scraps, but on closer look I am wondering if you used the "pillowcase" turn method instead of adding binding? Nita

my thoughts on binding . . . YUCK! . . . especially on something this small. :D i sandwiched (bottom to top) batting (insulbrite), front (right side up), backing (right side down). i put the loop in there (between the two fabrics with the tail sticking out), and then stitched 1/4" around (backstitching a couple of times where the loop is for strength), leaving a turn-hole. clipped corners, turned, pressed, stitched 1/4" around. hand stitched the 'hole' closed. then i did the crazy topstitching (through all layers).

not sure if that is the pillowcase turn method or not, but it's pretty easy!

Grandma Cindy 12-11-2008 06:43 AM

I wasn't disappointed, it's lovely but you caught me for sure...

Nita 12-11-2008 06:47 AM

Thanks, Patty ~ I've bookmarked everything:Your photo, website for ruler, and the binding info. It's a keeper! Nita

Jim's Gem 12-11-2008 01:46 PM

That is a beautiful pot holder!. Love the embroidery touch too. I also have an em machine but have not learned how to do much beside quilt labels. Yes, I have spent quite a bit on threads and stabilizers too, just need the time to "explore"

mimee4 12-12-2008 06:17 AM

What a great idea! I love how easy it must be. Even could draw my own paper piecing pattern and go from there. Thanks for showing this

Marcia 12-12-2008 07:45 PM

Patty-how cute!!! The embroidery is great and your fabric choices just "make" it!! I love it!!!!