Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Xmas table runner done & Gumby with Pokey quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/xmas-table-runner-done-gumby-pokey-quilt-t83839.html)

CAJAMK 12-19-2010 07:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I asked for some opinions in regard to the backing and the overwhemling response was to use one of the fabrics that I used on the front as I was asking about. Here is a pic of the finished item on my dining room table. I like the look but it does not lay completely flat. Any suggestions as to why? Sorry the pic is rather dark.
The 3rd pic is a Gumby & Pokey quilt (remember them) for my new stepgrandson born 7/21/10.

twinkie 12-19-2010 08:32 AM

Not sure this would be the reason, however you might check on it. Sometimes when I am sewing a straight seam, and it comes to the end of the strip, I tend to make the seam allowance a little smaller than I did at the beginning of the strip. That would tend to make it have a little wave in it. I have to really be careful and make sure the seam allowance is the same. I love the color selection. Your Pokey quilt for GS is so cute. Love the backing. You do good work. Merry Christmas.

hperttula123 12-19-2010 08:35 AM

how cute, I love the Gumby & Pokey quilt. The runner is cute too!!!

ann clare 12-19-2010 09:03 AM

Both are beautiful

bjnicholson 12-19-2010 09:06 AM

Love your runner and quilt! That's really reaching back a bit on the Gumby and Pokey!

scowlkat 12-19-2010 10:07 AM

Love them, love them. My husband is a big Gumby and Pokey fan and has them in all sizes dating back to his childhood. Do you remember where you bought the fabric? I will do a search.

Prism99 12-19-2010 12:40 PM

Very nice!

It looks like the strips have bias edges along the sides. Bias stretches, so it is likely that the bias edge stretched as you were applying the binding. This gives a ripply edge. You can avoid this next time by heavily starching the fabric before cutting into strips. Starch will help keep bias edges from stretching out of shape. (The edges along the straight-of-grain of the strips did not stretch out of shape because straight-of-grain is more stable.)

CAJAMK 12-19-2010 12:46 PM

Hello! I bought the fabric at an Amish Place in Lancaster County pa. thanks

amma 12-20-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Very nice!

It looks like the strips have bias edges along the sides. Bias stretches, so it is likely that the bias edge stretched as you were applying the binding. This gives a ripply edge. You can avoid this next time by heavily starching the fabric before cutting into strips. Starch will help keep bias edges from stretching out of shape. (The edges along the straight-of-grain of the strips did not stretch out of shape because straight-of-grain is more stable.)

Both of your quilts are beautiful!! :D:D:D

You also might stitch just inside the seam line before you cut off the edges. This might help stabilize those bias ends. I would use starch like is explained above too :D:D:D

BizzieLizzie 12-20-2010 03:59 PM

nice colours!