Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Yay! Finally finished quilting Ladies Of The Sea!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/yay-finally-finished-quilting-ladies-sea-t195501.html)

greenfairy 07-23-2012 11:46 AM

Yay! Finally finished quilting Ladies Of The Sea!!

3 Attachment(s)
Karin pieced and appliqued this "Ladies of the Sea" quilt designed Sue Garman. Karin did a fabulous job and I would be lying if I didn't feel slightly pressured to make sure I didn't ruin this quilt. I am always grateful when I get to be a part of a quilt that will be treasured for a long time. So, this quilt was "simple" in the fact that I didn't have to think much about what I was doing. I had to draw a ton of lines, 1/4 straight lines on a 45 degree angle got a little tiring. Each block, from start to finish took me around 1 hour, some took longer than that. So, just in block work it was around 16 hours. The rest of the quilting, mostly pebbling took me 43 hours. So, 59 hours total to complete this quilt. Amazingly enough, I enjoyed the pebbling more than I enjoyed the straight stitching. Although, my back was aching for a few hours after each quilting session. It's all worth it in the end as you can see the applique pop and become the showcase it needs to be. I used two layers of batting - I don't use one layer anymore - but for this quilt I used a wool batting and a Hobbs 80/20 batting. I think it worked out beautifully. I used Kimono Silk Thread by Superior Threads for the first time. I have to say, I loved it! It's a strong, durable thread and super thin. I didn't have any problems with the thread and I am sure I will use it again. It's a little more pricey, but I think it is worth it for your masterpiece quilts. This was done freehand on my A-1 Longarm.

KyStitcher 07-23-2012 11:52 AM

Drop dead fantastic..... pattern and quilting. That's what I wanna do when I grow up!!!!!hehe

greencat 07-23-2012 11:53 AM

Beautiful quilt and quilting! A true work of art and labor of love!

ND-Mom 07-23-2012 11:54 AM

I can't believe my eyes! How beautiful it is! Kudos to you!!

barny 07-23-2012 12:00 PM

Now I just can't believe this has been done. It is REALLY GORGEOUS! Just unbelievable! I would give so much to watch this being done. I don't mean I could learn it, never. But, I would love to watch the work being done. So, So beautiful! PS. I showed this to my 2 sons and husband and Grandson, He made it large so we could really see it. all they could say was "wow". And ask me questions about quilting.

Tartan 07-23-2012 12:02 PM

GORGEOUS! Sorry, but I just had to shout about the super appliqué and quilting in that quilt. I hope it goes in a show someplace because it is a ribbon winner for sure.

SouthPStitches 07-23-2012 12:04 PM

That is the most gorgeous quilting job I have ever seen. What talent both of your ladies have.

fatquarters 07-23-2012 12:06 PM

WOW. A masterpiece!

red-warrior 07-23-2012 12:08 PM

Excellent job both of you! Thee quilting really makes it pop!

feline fanatic 07-23-2012 12:11 PM

Judi, I was lurking your blog earlier today and spotted this beauty. Another work of art by you, I am sure the maker will be beyond thrilled with it. You will always continue to amaze and astound.