Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Yesterday while doing disaster relief in Joplin, MO....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/yesterday-while-doing-disaster-relief-joplin-mo-t129374.html)

himnherr 06-10-2011 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have 4 sets of friends in Joplin who lost everything in the May 22 tornado. I mean EVERYTHING! They are our friends in that we have been involved with some of them on a regional building crew for building Kingdom Halls all over SW Missouri for the past 15 years or so. So, while we work with them on various building projects I had never been to their homes. They have been the ones who have given of themselves for many years and now find themselves on the receiving end.

So, yesterday (my husband is the head of Food Service for our projects, which makes me chief cook & bottle washer)
:lol: I was visiting with one of the couples about it all. I asked her what kind of decor they prefer- modern contemporary, Victorian, etc...... I kinda thought it'd be modern. She told me "minimalism". Hmm.... I asked her to explain what that was. She said very simple, nothing just "sitting around". She said people have often told her their place looked like a doctor's office waiting room! haha! At least she had her sense of humor intact. Anyway, I explained that when I first started quilting about 1 1/2 yrs. ago my 2nd quilt was made just because I wanted to do it and the colors really appealed to me but went with nothing in my house. It's black and white with a splash of red & orange. I've never used it before- it's just sitting on my shelf. I wanted to give it to them if they would like to have it. She said she'd love to have it because they have black & white & a splash of color in every room in their house!! Isn't that something!? I'm so excited to have someone so deserving to give it to AND have it match their decor!

PaperPrincess 06-10-2011 03:59 AM

Great quilt, & great story. Hope they are back in their homes as quickly as possible.

Zappycat 06-10-2011 04:07 AM

That's a beautiful quilt and what a nice thing for you to do. They will never forget your kindness.

blueangel 06-10-2011 04:16 AM

How nice of you. Love your avatar.

Stitchnripper 06-10-2011 04:21 AM

Nice story and beautiful quilt.

Maggie_1963 06-10-2011 04:25 AM

Beautiful quilt, and story, hope all works out for your friends and bless you for being a kind, generous, giving person..You make a difference!

arkansasquilter123 06-10-2011 04:27 AM

That is a BEAUTIFUL quilt and will go to someone who will appreciate it. What a nice combination. Sometimes we just have quilts for no specific purpose, and then that purpose just walks into our life. Bless you for all you are doing.

litacats 06-10-2011 04:30 AM

Hi sister. I wonder how many more of us are on here.
DH and I have been on a couple of local quick builds. we too are waiting for our house as we lost everything on new years day. so I know how they feel. mine was from fire but the end result is the same.

nycbgirl 06-10-2011 04:39 AM

How very loving and kind of you and your husband to help. And your quilt is beautiful!!!

emerald46 06-10-2011 05:06 AM

Beautiful quilt. Joplin is going to need all of our prayers and help for a long time.