Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Yet another Spicy Spiral (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/yet-another-spicy-spiral-t296568.html)

Irishrose2 04-28-2018 09:51 AM

Yet another Spicy Spiral
 
1 Attachment(s)
My son was married last year and just bought a house, so it's time for a Spicy Spiral just as each of his sisters has.
Pattern; Cheryl Phillips Spicy Spiral w/10 degree ruler. I bind mine rather than turning it.
Fabrics; From my stash, mostly from his wedding quilt, which is not finished.
Quilting; Spirals down each color
Attachment 593723

tsladaritz 04-28-2018 10:06 AM

Love it
 
Love it! I have bought the ruler but have not made one yet.


Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 8049076)
My son was married last year and just bought a house, so it's time for a Spicy Spiral just as each of his sisters has.
Pattern; Cheryl Phillips Spicy Spiral w/10 degree ruler. I bind mine rather than turning it.
Fabrics; From my stash, mostly from his wedding quilt, which is not finished.
Quilting; Spirals down each color
Attachment 593723


oksewglad 04-28-2018 10:56 AM

Another winner...I hope you didn't use too much from DS's quilt so that it can get finished!:D

TheMerkleFamily 04-28-2018 11:14 AM

These are so fun & sassy! From your last post I wandered around online interested in the pattern/ruler and found reference to both a 9 & 10 degree options.. And the current 10 degree ruler comes in two pieces so as to be able to travel easier (I guess the original was 24-25" long?)

I'm curious if there's a benefit to having any of these options over the other or is it just a finished size and/or cost of the ruler decision? I'm not familiar what other reasons I may want to have a 9 or 10 degree ruler on hand which may influence my decision? Thank you in advance for any feedback :)

Christine

Jane Quilter 04-28-2018 11:19 AM

wow...sassy it is! Love the colors, fabrics and esp the shape. Great job.....

QuiltnNan 04-28-2018 11:25 AM

nicely done

Irishrose2 04-28-2018 11:30 AM


Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 8049100)
Another winner...I hope you didn't use too much from DS's quilt so that it can get finished!:D

No, it's totally cut out. I haven't heard of any errors in the Labyrinth pattern, so if I sew correctly, I'm good. I do have more of most of the fabrics.

Irishrose2 04-28-2018 11:39 AM


Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily (Post 8049110)
These are so fun & sassy! From your last post I wandered around online interested in the pattern/ruler and found reference to both a 9 & 10 degree options.. And the current 10 degree ruler comes in two pieces so as to be able to travel easier (I guess the original was 24-25" long?)
Christine

My 10 degree is 22 1/2" long. Numbered to 25, but it starts at 3. :rolleyes: A 9 d makes a slightly smaller runner, but I don't think by much. Any other reason to have one? Christmas tree skirts, for one. I think it would make a nice Dresdan Plate, too. Have you seen her book, Quilts Without Corners? I would not like my basic ruler in two pieces. I do have the extender for mine in case I get brave enough to try one of the round quilts.

TheMerkleFamily 04-28-2018 11:50 AM


Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 8049121)
My 10 degree is 22 1/2" long. Numbered to 25, but it starts at 3. :rolleyes: A 9 d makes a slightly smaller runner, but I don't think by much. Any other reason to have one? Christmas tree skirts, for one. I think it would make a nice Dresdan Plate, too. Have you seen her book, Quilts Without Corners? I would not like my basic ruler in two pieces. I do have the extender for mine in case I get brave enough to try one of the round quilts.

Yes, I did notice her books online but haven't looked through them. It sounds as though either would work for any of the projects noted.. I would enjoy making Christmas skirts but I'm not so sure I'd venture into rounds just yet - I'm still a novice at this craft :)

I'll just pick one and go for it! Thanks for sharing your beauties and advice - I'm going to have to add this to my future project list!

Christine

Boston1954 04-28-2018 12:11 PM

Fantastic! I applaud anyone who can do those curves. Great job.

Jingle 04-28-2018 01:40 PM

Beautiful spiral and I love the colors.

Teen 04-28-2018 03:33 PM

Geesh....this is amazing!

jlt37869 04-28-2018 04:56 PM

Looks great!

Mariposa 04-28-2018 05:42 PM

Nicely done!

DJ 04-28-2018 05:54 PM

So pretty. I would like to do one sometime!

PaperPrincess 04-29-2018 03:57 AM

Very nice! Last week we had a refresher demo of the 9 and 10 degree rulers and all the things you could do with them. I also have the pattern & ruler, but haven't started. I think you have inspired me.

Tartan 04-29-2018 04:31 AM

​Pretty runner!

quilterpurpledog 04-29-2018 04:43 AM

I really like the colors you chose for this pattern. This is one of my favorite patterns and I have used it many times. I think I should look into purchasing the book for new uses. Some patterns and rulers become classic real fast and this is one of them.

Diane K M 04-29-2018 06:15 AM


Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 8049121)
My 10 degree is 22 1/2" long. Numbered to 25, but it starts at 3. :rolleyes: A 9 d makes a slightly smaller runner, but I don't think by much. Any other reason to have one? Christmas tree skirts, for one. I think it would make a nice Dresdan Plate, too. Have you seen her book, Quilts Without Corners? I would not like my basic ruler in two pieces. I do have the extender for mine in case I get brave enough to try one of the round quilts.

I have made a couple of these and they are very easy to make. I made it hard at first, but then realized what to do. Your colors are very pretty.

jmoore 04-29-2018 06:32 AM

Pretty runner...it looks like a fun pattern to sew.

Ariannaquilts 04-29-2018 06:36 AM

Really nice looking spiral, your colors are perfect.

Carol Ann 04-29-2018 06:38 AM

Beautiful!!

Quiltlady330 04-29-2018 11:30 AM

Great quilting. Makes it look 3-dimensional. Really nice. They will love it.

Irishrose2 04-29-2018 11:49 AM


Originally Posted by Quiltlady330 (Post 8049727)
Great quilting. Makes it look 3-dimensional. Really nice. They will love it.

I tried to find a new way to quilt it - even asked here, but in the end I did it just like I did the other seven. I guess if it works for me, it's good. They are, of course, all in different houses. You know who doesn't have one?? Me!

MamaLinda 04-29-2018 02:30 PM

Your Spicy Spiral is simply lovely and the Spiral quilting is especially appropriate. Looking forward to your Labyrinth quilt with those fabrics.

Barb in Louisiana 04-29-2018 02:40 PM

Very Very pretty! One of my favorite patterns.

SusieQOH 04-29-2018 03:18 PM

Such a cool tablerunner!!

eimay 04-30-2018 04:39 PM

Very pretty.

BrendaK 04-30-2018 07:52 PM

Beautiful. BrendaK


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:45 AM.



SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.