Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilts made from my Aunt's dresses >

Quilts made from my Aunt's dresses

Quilts made from my Aunt's dresses

Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 AM

There have been some posts lately about making quilts out of clothes. I just wanted to share with all of you 4 quilts I made a few years ago from my aunt’s dresses and gave them to her grandchildren. I finished all the tops and before they were layered, I had a picture taken with all of them and the recipients so I could make the label for the back. Each label has the picture with me and the 4 grandchildren holding their respective quilt tops. Also in the label is a picture of the dresses my aunt had made and another picture that had special meaning to each grandchild. The story below is what I read prior to presenting my cousins with the quilt tops. This post is a little long, but I do hope you enjoy it.

Aunt Dorothy was a very special lady to me. Although I live in Massachusetts and she moved to Florida, I could call her anytime if I needed a shoulder to cry on or just someone to talk to. She didn’t have all the answers – who does? But just knowing she was there for me was all I needed to know. When my own mother died, Aunt Dorothy became a surrogate mother to me and grandmother to Sarah who was only 3 months old at the time. She loved to knit and it seemed that every time I went to the mailbox there was a package with a homemade sweater for Sarah. Another favorite thing of hers was to sew and she made most of her own clothes. After she passed away, Uncle Harry asked me if I could visit him and help him sort through her things. I asked him if I could have some of the dresses she had made. He looked at me a little funny, but I just said, “Don’t worry, I have a plan”. My plan was to make a quilt for Uncle Harry with the dresses, but I procrastinated and several years after her death, he passed away. With so many of her dresses now neatly tucked away, I just couldn’t bare to throw them out. So I refocused and decided to take on a more challenging task by making one quilt for each of her 4 grandchildren, Caryn, Sheryl, Louis and Daryl. For myself, as with any quilt I make, they take on a special meaning to me and it gives me great pleasure to pass them on to each of you so that you will always have a part of Grandma to wrap yourself up in.

Caryn Cathleen Goldberg Quieti
The first quilt is for Caryn, the oldest of the grandchildren. This quilt is an original design and I named it “Grandma’s Flower Garden” because grandchildren truly are the flowers in a grandmother’s eyes. Aunt Dorothy fed you with love and watered you with tears of joy, which helped you grow into the beautiful woman you are today. She was very blessed to have you start her wonderful garden.

Sheryl Ann Goldberg Sobiesiak
The second quilt is for Sheryl. The pattern is called Old Fashioned Wedding Ring and I named this quilt “Grandma’s Blessing”. I chose this pattern because Aunt Dorothy talked often about seeing you walk down the isle. Although she passed away before your wedding, she was there in spirit and now I hope this quilt will keep her close in your heart.

Louis Charles Goldberg
The third quilt is for Louis. Aunt Dorothy would often tell me how you made her laugh. She often talked about how you liked to perform and she knew someday you would make it big. You made her very happy and kept that laughter alive inside of her. When I think of laughter, I think of circus clowns with big bow ties. They make everyone laugh and feel good about themselves. The pattern for this quilt is called Bow Ties and I named this quilt “A Smile For Grandma”.

Daryl Robert Goldberg
The forth quilt is for Daryl, the youngest of the grandchildren. I remember when Aunt Dorothy told me she was moving to Florida. I was so sad to see her go, but I knew it would make her happy because she would be spending lots of time with her “baby”. She couldn’t wait to fly south to hold you in her arms. The pattern for this quilt is called Flying Geese and they are pointing south to represent flying to Florida. I named this quilt “Grandma’s Trip Home”.

Here are the pictures of the final products, fronts, backs and labels.

Grandma's Flower Garden
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131003[/ATTACH]

Grandma's Blessing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131763[/ATTACH]

A Smile For Grandma
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132149[/ATTACH]

Grandma's Trip Home
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132150[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-130996.jpe   attachment-130997.jpe   attachment-130998.jpe   attachment-131756.jpe   attachment-131757.jpe  

attachment-131758.jpe   attachment-131913.jpe   attachment-132143.jpe   attachment-132144.jpe   attachment-132145.jpe  

attachment-132226.jpe   attachment-132518.jpe   attachment-132519.jpe  
Old 03-12-2011, 05:47 AM

What a lovely idea! I especially like how you related each quilt to your aunt and to the children.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:56 AM

I can only imagine how those quilts will be treasured. They are lovely. You are a very kind person to take the time to do that and put so much thought into it. May God bless you abundantly.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:56 AM

I am showing my sentimental side by crying, I believe that is one of the reasons I love quilts is the connection to the ones they are made by or for.

Lovely quilts and a lovely family, thank you for sharing your family with us.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:57 AM

What wonderful quilts and memories for everyone. You really made a something unique. May in Jersey
Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
What wonderful quilts and memories for everyone. You really made a something unique. May in Jersey
Two of the receipients of these quilts are from NJ.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:02 AM

That is very special.

You must have known her well in order to do such detailed work with the grandkids in mind.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
I am showing my sentimental side by crying, I believe that is one of the reasons I love quilts is the connection to the ones they are made by or for.

Lovely quilts and a lovely family, thank you for sharing your family with us.
me too - pass the tissues please.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:12 AM

These are wonderful! I have about 20 of my recently passed grandmas aprons, Most are very ,very worn, I was going to do a Traditional Grandmas flower garden but your version is so beautiful, May I attempt to muster up a similar design? These are beautiful quilts.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:14 AM

What a lovely story. What a beautiful way to share her memory with your cousins.