Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilts to Sweden >

Quilts to Sweden

Quilts to Sweden

Old 10-18-2020, 04:02 AM

Default Quilts to Sweden

This post is actually a test to see if I can move a scanned picture over to my picture file on my computer & then post it here.

I have a pen pal in Sweden that I've been corresponding with since I was 14 years old (63 years). I made her a quilt back in 2003 and wanted to share this picture with you. The top picture is of the quilt in her home in Sweden & the bottom (strippy) quilt is a quilt that I made for her first grandchild. It's made from fabric with bears on it & I also sent a little stuffed bear along with the quilt. You can see him on the left side just almost out of the picture.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Quitls for Sweden.pdf (496.2 KB, 995 views)
Old 10-18-2020, 04:56 AM

Lovely quilts and a great correspondence throughout the years. I, too, have had a penpal in Australia since I was 8 yrs. old (61 yrs.) and have sent her a wall hanging to celebrate the millenium and her grandchild a birth quilt also. Have you ever met yours? Because of a strange twist of events, I have met mine probably 10 times or more, mostly in the US. Her daughter married an American foreign exchange student and moved back to live permanently in Illinois. They come periodically and we always make an attempt to meet or have them to our house. We finally took a tour of Australia in 2013 and had the opportunity to stay with them for two weeks after the tour, for a trip of a lifetime. Hope you get to see yours. Because we have been corresponding for years, it was like meeting a neighbor that you had talked to over a fence, but had never seen. LOL
Old 10-18-2020, 06:19 AM

Those quilts are lovely! That’s so awesome that you have kept your pen pal for that long.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:09 AM

I did get to meet her one time in 2000 when she & her DD & DSIL came to the states to visit a relative. They traveled throughout the USA & stayed with us for 1 week. She wanted to see a baseball game but the Astros were not playing at home the week she was here. Also, she wanted to see a real cowboy so I took her to the George Ranch in Richmond, Texas. We got to watch them work the cattle & show how they dip the cattle in the dipping pens & cut out cattle to separate them from the herd, etc. She even got to see the longhorn cattle that they have on the ranch as they were right up at the front gate when we drove in. We took pictures of them & then never saw them again during the rest of the time we were there. Lucky we took pics when we did.
https://www.georgeranch.org/
She had so much fun there & got her picture taken with a real cowboy who works on the ranch. We had such a good time together & it was one of the highlights of my life. I've never been to Sweden to visit her as DH does not fly.

Last edited by osewme; 10-18-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 AM

Very nice quilts and so nice that you have kept in touch for all this time.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:40 AM

It took me a moment to view them but once I did I was amazed at there beauty ! Thanks for sharing and your method works well.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty quilts.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:19 PM

You can take a boat/ship. That is how my older Aunt and I went to England, Switzerland, Italy and France.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:11 PM

I'm jealous. I had a pen pal who lived in England when I was 13 years old. We kept in touch for a little over 10 years. She became a nurse. I got married and had a little girl. We exchanged letters through those years and then she suddenly stopped answering my letters. I don't know the reason why. I'm now 83 years old, that was 60 years ago but I still think of her now and then.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:24 AM

(I had to go to Adobe Acrobat to see the pictures, so they weren't really posted on the Quilting board site.)
You are so fortunate to still be in touch with your teen years' pen pal. I wrote for several years to the niece of a neighbor, who lived in Czechoslovakia. She stopped writing without notice, and I found out years later that it was a requirement of her job at the UN not to write to anyone in the USA!