Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 72

Thread: Salt Lake City Quilt Show, Part 2: Irena Bluhm

  1. #26
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,179
    Thank you so much for sharing the photos. I wanted to go to this quilt show so much but since my quilting buddy moved away there was no one to go with me and it would have been just too lonely to go by myself. Maybe next year. Thanks again for the photos!!

  2. #27
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,372
    Those are some beautiful quilts. I am a beginner here and did not know you could use coloring pencil. I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I will get to go too one.

  3. #28
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1
    Stunning work!

  4. #29
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,149
    Blog Entries
    3
    Incredible!

  5. #30
    Senior Member jahaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Posts
    407
    I'm speechless. They are gorgeous.

  6. #31
    Member kbartnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    32
    OUT OF THIS WORLD PHENOMENAL!!!! WOW!

  7. #32
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,303
    Soooo..... after you have colored the fabric with colored pencils, you can never wash that quilt, can you? And what does the fabric medium do?

  8. #33
    Super Member Homemother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,083
    Blog Entries
    1
    What's to say? Breathtaking! :!: :!: :!:
    Thanks so much for sharing! :D

  9. #34
    Senior Member janeknapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    461
    You can wash quilts that have been made with watercolor pencils, but they need to be heat set first. If you color your blocks and heat set, then soak them in water before piecing and quilting. I have not found any color to come out.

    I'm working with watercolor pencils (Michaels). You can use water to take the color from the surface of the fabric down into the fibers. However, water can make it bleed outside the lines. You work from the middle and push the dampness to the outside. Reading these posts I find that fabric medium works, but I haven't tried that.

    Just this week I learned that clear aloe vera gel works great and there is no bleeding. I used it and like it. It dries quickly (5 minutes or less) just like water. You can heat set it before it is dry by using a pressing cloth.

    I haven't tried painting or using watercolor pencils AFTER quilting. I would question heat setting after quilting as it could damage the loft especially if using poly batting. I do use wool in my quilts which gives loft but doesn't melt when pressed.

  10. #35
    Super Member Lynnejean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,055
    AWESOME! AWESOME!AWESOME!!

  11. #36
    Super Member toadmomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brooktondale, NY
    Posts
    1,684
    WOW WOW AND MORE WOW DEB

  12. #37
    Super Member rosemaynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Glendale Az.
    Posts
    1,788
    Thank you so much for sharing and taking all the pictures for us.... I love quilt shows... thank you again.
    Rose

  13. #38
    Super Member BonniFeltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by sgardner
    Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle
    WOW !!!!!!! now who didn't like coloring in when they were a kid

    I know, right? On Muslin, she used "plain old colored pencils"- the kinds you buy at Walmart- and fabric medium. Muslin is a cheaper fabric, the colored pencils will be on sale in a month or two for back to school sales, and my bottle of fabric medium has lasted me forever. Anyone can do this!!!

    But, seriously, at the show they had patterns that were already quilted for the outline ready for people to purchase, for those that felt that they couldn't quilt their own outside border to color in.

    The Satin projects she said the colored pencils didn't work, but she used the Shiva Paint sticks.

    I've had success with any watercolor pencils and fabric medium, but my work isn't anywhere near this level. I'm just a baby trying his first word, while Irena is a world class poet!
    See what you can do with color pencils Shelley? Aren't you glad that I introduced you to faux applique? Of course this is waaaaaay beyong the basics and beginning.

    FYI - I have washed my mug rug that I used regular color pencils on topped with fabric medium and the colors have stayed true.

  14. #39
    Super Member dream56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indiana, PA
    Posts
    1,403
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gorgeous work - they are all so fabulous.

  15. #40
    Senior Member janeknapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    461
    I'm new to watercolor pencil, too. My mother who has Parkinsons and is in a nursing home uses them. I am making a quilt for my sister with the applique blocks she has colored. Here is a block she did with my help in shading. This is the easiest way to applique. The yellow centers were machine appliqued. When I used water to activate the watercolor, it bled into the yellow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #41
    Senior Member janeknapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    461
    I just started quilting this piece last night for my cousin who wants to put it in a frame. That means no binding!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #42
    Senior Member sgardner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Ogden, Utah
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Soooo..... after you have colored the fabric with colored pencils, you can never wash that quilt, can you? And what does the fabric medium do?

    Yes, you CAN WASH the quilts!!! The whole point of the fabric medium is to make whatever color you are applying PERMANENT! Watercolor pencils, regular pencils, etc, all become permanent after the application of the fabric medium.

  18. #43
    Senior Member sgardner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    North Ogden, Utah
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by janeknapp
    I just started quilting this piece last night for my cousin who wants to put it in a frame. That means no binding!

    It's really pretty- keep at it!

  19. #44
    Super Member BonniFeltz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by janeknapp
    I just started quilting this piece last night for my cousin who wants to put it in a frame. That means no binding!
    Well done! I love how that is turning out.

  20. #45
    Senior Member janeknapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    461
    Go to Irena Bluhm's website for instructions when using colored pencils and textile medium. Scroll down to Quilt First, add Color later.

    http://www.irenabluhmscreations.com/information/

  21. #46
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,303
    Quote Originally Posted by janeknapp
    You can wash quilts that have been made with watercolor pencils, but they need to be heat set first. If you color your blocks and heat set, then soak them in water before piecing and quilting. I have not found any color to come out.

    I'm working with watercolor pencils (Michaels). You can use water to take the color from the surface of the fabric down into the fibers. However, water can make it bleed outside the lines. You work from the middle and push the dampness to the outside. Reading these posts I find that fabric medium works, but I haven't tried that.

    Just this week I learned that clear aloe vera gel works great and there is no bleeding. I used it and like it. It dries quickly (5 minutes or less) just like water. You can heat set it before it is dry by using a pressing cloth.

    I haven't tried painting or using watercolor pencils AFTER quilting. I would question heat setting after quilting as it could damage the loft especially if using poly batting. I do use wool in my quilts which gives loft but doesn't melt when pressed.
    Thanks for all this great info, Jane! :D

  22. #47
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    20,303
    Quote Originally Posted by sgardner
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Soooo..... after you have colored the fabric with colored pencils, you can never wash that quilt, can you? And what does the fabric medium do?

    Yes, you CAN WASH the quilts!!! The whole point of the fabric medium is to make whatever color you are applying PERMANENT! Watercolor pencils, regular pencils, etc, all become permanent after the application of the fabric medium.
    Thank you, good to know... :D

  23. #48
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,200
    I was able to go to this quilt show this year and everything that has been said about these quilts is true. They were truley beautiful. They represent a lot of hard work, talent, time, patience, and the list goes on and on.

  24. #49
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MA orig. Now OH
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks for sharing those gorgeous quilts..Some quilters are just artists!!

  25. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    854
    wow, I'm speechles, stunning quilts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.