Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake City Quilt Show, Part 2: Irena Bluhm

Thank you so much for sharing the photos. I wanted to go to this quilt show so much but since my quilting buddy moved away there was no one to go with me and it would have been just too lonely to go by myself. Maybe next year. Thanks again for the photos!!

Those are some beautiful quilts. I am a beginner here and did not know you could use coloring pencil. I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I will get to go too one.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Stunning work!

Blog Entries
    Incredible!

I'm speechless. They are gorgeous.

OUT OF THIS WORLD PHENOMENAL!!!! WOW!

Soooo..... after you have colored the fabric with colored pencils, you can never wash that quilt, can you? And what does the fabric medium do?

Blog Entries
    What's to say? Breathtaking! :!: :!: :!:
    Thanks so much for sharing! :D

You can wash quilts that have been made with watercolor pencils, but they need to be heat set first. If you color your blocks and heat set, then soak them in water before piecing and quilting. I have not found any color to come out.

I'm working with watercolor pencils (Michaels). You can use water to take the color from the surface of the fabric down into the fibers. However, water can make it bleed outside the lines. You work from the middle and push the dampness to the outside. Reading these posts I find that fabric medium works, but I haven't tried that.

Just this week I learned that clear aloe vera gel works great and there is no bleeding. I used it and like it. It dries quickly (5 minutes or less) just like water. You can heat set it before it is dry by using a pressing cloth.

I haven't tried painting or using watercolor pencils AFTER quilting. I would question heat setting after quilting as it could damage the loft especially if using poly batting. I do use wool in my quilts which gives loft but doesn't melt when pressed.

AWESOME! AWESOME!AWESOME!!

WOW WOW AND MORE WOW DEB

Thank you so much for sharing and taking all the pictures for us.... I love quilt shows... thank you again.
    Rose

Quote Originally Posted by sgardner
    Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle
    WOW !!!!!!! now who didn't like coloring in when they were a kid

I know, right? On Muslin, she used "plain old colored pencils"- the kinds you buy at Walmart- and fabric medium. Muslin is a cheaper fabric, the colored pencils will be on sale in a month or two for back to school sales, and my bottle of fabric medium has lasted me forever. Anyone can do this!!!

But, seriously, at the show they had patterns that were already quilted for the outline ready for people to purchase, for those that felt that they couldn't quilt their own outside border to color in.

The Satin projects she said the colored pencils didn't work, but she used the Shiva Paint sticks.

I've had success with any watercolor pencils and fabric medium, but my work isn't anywhere near this level. I'm just a baby trying his first word, while Irena is a world class poet!
    See what you can do with color pencils Shelley? Aren't you glad that I introduced you to faux applique? Of course this is waaaaaay beyong the basics and beginning.

FYI - I have washed my mug rug that I used regular color pencils on topped with fabric medium and the colors have stayed true.

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous work - they are all so fabulous.

I'm new to watercolor pencil, too. My mother who has Parkinsons and is in a nursing home uses them. I am making a quilt for my sister with the applique blocks she has colored. Here is a block she did with my help in shading. This is the easiest way to applique. The yellow centers were machine appliqued. When I used water to activate the watercolor, it bled into the yellow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just started quilting this piece last night for my cousin who wants to put it in a frame. That means no binding!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Soooo..... after you have colored the fabric with colored pencils, you can never wash that quilt, can you? And what does the fabric medium do?

Yes, you CAN WASH the quilts!!! The whole point of the fabric medium is to make whatever color you are applying PERMANENT! Watercolor pencils, regular pencils, etc, all become permanent after the application of the fabric medium.

Quote Originally Posted by janeknapp
    I just started quilting this piece last night for my cousin who wants to put it in a frame. That means no binding!

It's really pretty- keep at it!

Well done! I love how that is turning out.

Go to Irena Bluhm's website for instructions when using colored pencils and textile medium. Scroll down to Quilt First, add Color later.

http://www.irenabluhmscreations.com/information/

You can wash quilts that have been made with watercolor pencils, but they need to be heat set first. If you color your blocks and heat set, then soak them in water before piecing and quilting. I have not found any color to come out.

I'm working with watercolor pencils (Michaels). You can use water to take the color from the surface of the fabric down into the fibers. However, water can make it bleed outside the lines. You work from the middle and push the dampness to the outside. Reading these posts I find that fabric medium works, but I haven't tried that.

Just this week I learned that clear aloe vera gel works great and there is no bleeding. I used it and like it. It dries quickly (5 minutes or less) just like water. You can heat set it before it is dry by using a pressing cloth.

I haven't tried painting or using watercolor pencils AFTER quilting. I would question heat setting after quilting as it could damage the loft especially if using poly batting. I do use wool in my quilts which gives loft but doesn't melt when pressed.
    Thanks for all this great info, Jane! :D

Quote Originally Posted by sgardner
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Yes, you CAN WASH the quilts!!! The whole point of the fabric medium is to make whatever color you are applying PERMANENT! Watercolor pencils, regular pencils, etc, all become permanent after the application of the fabric medium.
    Thank you, good to know... :D

I was able to go to this quilt show this year and everything that has been said about these quilts is true. They were truley beautiful. They represent a lot of hard work, talent, time, patience, and the list goes on and on.

Thanks for sharing those gorgeous quilts..Some quilters are just artists!!

wow, I'm speechles, stunning quilts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast