Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Singer 301 A Beauty~Her name is "SMOKEY"

Blog Entries
    pab58, look at that baby in your avatar - so sweet. She can sew on my machine anytime or lay on my table and purr!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by humbird
    I have a cabinet just like this! Only mine has my very old Necchi in it. Originally had a singer. Mother replaced it for the Necchi. Not sure why. She gave it to me many many years ago! It has a stool that you can remove the seat top and has a bit of storage there. I love mine. My mother purchased it new, porbably about 60 years ago. And, I bet she was MADE IN AMERICA!!
    Humbird, I have no seat that came with it. How lucky you are to have something of your Mom's. The person that I purchased the machine from used the cabinet for a desk and knew nothing about sewing. She had no history of the machine. I do miss this part of owning an older machine.

Nancy

Blog Entries
    I would like to thank you all for looking. I appreciate your compliments and well wishes with "Smokey". Have a great sewing weekend :)

Peace & Blessings,
    Nancy

Awesome! She looks in great shape. I have a similar cabinet with a slightly different 301. the picture is from when she arived. She is a wonderful machine. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have one just like it,bought it in 1957. Still going and has traved to quilting with me.

Beautiful!!

Very pretty....the cabinet r wonderful

Blog Entries
    I have a cabinet just like that. Mine came with a touch and sew. I put my Rocketeer into that cabinet. I love the way your 301 looks. I may have to try Billy's tutorial on cleaning up my 301.

We collect old Singers and just wanted to tell you that you did a great job of cleaning the machine up. We have found that a lot of the old staining (brown "crud") on the metal parts of these machines is the oil that they used. This one looks so good, my DH gave me permission to offer to buy it from you. He said I could even go as high as $20 for it (LOL) Just kidding. This one could easily sell for $100's of dollars. I just love it and so does my DH. You have a real treasure there.

WOW! The cabinet and machine both have an art deco look to them. I've never seen a cabinet like it! Beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new 301, she's a beauty!! Congrats too on a great job of getting her up and running. It's wonderful to hear that a 301 has been saved from a life of shelf sitting and doing what she was meant to do AND is in a good home now. :) :thumbup:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet Sue
    I have a chance to purchase one of these for $125. Wasn't sure if that was a good price. No cabinet or case, just the machine, but she has been completely serviced & runs perfectly. Should I get her?
    YES!! :thumbup:

What a beautiful find the machine & cabinet are beautiful. you will enjoy sewing on that one. Lucky you for finding this treasure.

Surely, you must be Irish. In any event, enjoy that wonderful machine.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter711
    These are before and after pics. The cabinet has not been touched ~ next week's project. It two weeks to clean and one week to get it running properly. It had a wrong part in the hook assembly and was covered in cig. smoke! Who would have thought. I have to thank Lostn51(Billy) and CabbagePatchKid (Cathy) for all their help and patience with me. All of this would not have been accomplished without them. It will be difficult to sew with her because I want her to stay just this way :roll: Each day I take a look at her and give her a pat.
    What did you use to clean this treasure with??? Looks New!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    We collect old Singers and just wanted to tell you that you did a great job of cleaning the machine up. We have found that a lot of the old staining (brown "crud") on the metal parts of these machines is the oil that they used. This one looks so good, my DH gave me permission to offer to buy it from you. He said I could even go as high as $20 for it (LOL) Just kidding. This one could easily sell for $100's of dollars. I just love it and so does my DH. You have a real treasure there.
    Twinkie, She was very well used but sure was loved and cared for. Just wish I could have met the woman who sewed with her! I wipe her down on the outside as soon as I oil. My husband is getting sooo jealous :-o

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    Congratulations on your new 301, she's a beauty!! Congrats too on a great job of getting her up and running. It's wonderful to hear that a 301 has been saved from a life of shelf sitting and doing what she was meant to do AND is in a good home now. :) :thumbup:
    Happy, I learned how to do the timing, take the whole shuttle assembly off and clean it (most important ~ how to put it back together again~). I had to purchase a second machine to find out that I had a wrong part. :idea: I will always share with anyone what I have learned.

Happy Quilting :thumbup:
    Nancy

She is a beauty and that deco cabinet is gorgeous.

Great machine and the cabinet is fantastic.

She looks like she is going to be a "hard worker".

Blog Entries
    What did you use to clean this treasure with??? Looks New!!![/quote]

Polly, I am just a talented woman :oops: lol . I wish I could take the credit for this :arrow: It is Lostn51 (Billy). He has done amazing tuts to restore old sewing machines ~ even does custom paint jobs. I followed his steps with his products and viola. :lol: :mrgreen: I did purchase a repair manual for this machine. It was very valuable with the issues that I had. We are very fortunate to have Billy with us :thumbup: Please PM me if you need any help in restoring a machine. Always willing to share what I have learned.
    Happy Quilting
    :-D Nancy

Love the art deco cabinet. Great machine

I've just started "dabbling" in fixing up vintage sewing machines. I have been on the lookout for a 301! What a beauty--I'm happy for you...and a little envious!

Blog Entries
    She is beautiful and I love the cabinet. Congratuations! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    This is the first 'art deco' sewing machine cabinet I have ever seen. Gorgeous!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast