Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Stack and Whack >

Stack and Whack

Stack and Whack

Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
My Mom passed several years before her first grandson married. This is a top that she made. When he married, I took the top and quilted it for his wedding gift. It is very special and meant the world to him.
Wow, it is beautiful and what a special special gift for him. I hope that someone will step in and finish all my UFO's and give them to my special people when I am gone.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM

What is meant by Stack and Whack? How do you do it?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gilla
Let's see if I can explain so that this makes sense.
They are called Stack and Whack because you cut a fabric into sections WOF of identical repeats of the fabric. Then you layer or stack these sections so that when you stick a pin in a certain spot down through all of the layers your pin will poke each fabric in the exact same place (or as close as possible). Usually you use flower pins or pins that lay completely flat without a ball on the end. Once you have these layers or stack of fabrics pinned, you whack which means to take your rotary cutter and ruler and cut your pieces for the quilt. In doing this your triangles or whatever shape you are using will make a star or block in which all of the pieces are identical.
The Book is Stack and Whack. If you search Stack And Whack you will get many threads on them.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by belmer
Wow that is one of the prettiest stack n wack quilts I have ever seen. Your Mother had a great sence of color use.I'm sure her Grandson will be so thrilled to get this. How sweet of you to finish it up for him.
I agree. This is a beautiful quilt. It's also the second one like this I've seen here that is called a stack 'n whack. I've done a beginner's S&W. but it didn't separate the colored fabric from light fabric. How do you do this kind? Where can I find it? Thank you
Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 PM

So very pretty! I have a couple of quilts that my grandmother made that I plan to give my granddaughters one day. What a great thing for you to do for your son! I can't imagine anything better, it's like a hug from Grandma!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by Gilla
Let's see if I can explain so that this makes sense.
They are called Stack and Whack because you cut a fabric into sections WOF of identical repeats of the fabric. Then you layer or stack these sections so that when you stick a pin in a certain spot down through all of the layers your pin will poke each fabric in the exact same place (or as close as possible). Usually you use flower pins or pins that lay completely flat without a ball on the end. Once you have these layers or stack of fabrics pinned, you whack which means to take your rotary cutter and ruler and cut your pieces for the quilt. In doing this your triangles or whatever shape you are using will make a star or block in which all of the pieces are identical.
The Book is Stack and Whack. If you search Stack And Whack you will get many threads on them.
Okay, so this just sort of answered my question. thanx again :oops:
Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 PM

The part I still don't understand is at what point do you put in the white fabric. I don't see the pattern?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 PM

What a special gift. And something I am sure he will treasure always. I love the fabrics.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:13 PM

Beautiful!