Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Start of Slide Show Quilt with Oriental's

  1. #1
    Super Member quilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,314
    While waiting for my D9P to come back from being quilted I decided to start on this. I don't have anything pieced yet, just cut. Do you like the background? or should I use different and should I change any of floral squares around? Not a very good picture. The floral fabric is really pretty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    That's really really pretty! I think white or black would make the flowers pop! Your placement looks great to me.

  3. #3
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    That looks really pretty!!! I have a lot of Oriental fabrics I have not figured out how I want to use them cause you kinda need some big squares to show off the print. I like this idea!!

  4. #4
    Super Member quilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    That's really really pretty! I think white or black would make the flowers pop! Your placement looks great to me.
    Are you saying use white or black background fabric?

  5. #5
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Looks great as is. As a side note the politically correct term is "Asian" not Oriental. That word/term may offend some people. Just an FYI :>

  6. #6
    Super Member quilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Looks great as is. As a side note the politically correct term is "Asian" not Oriental. That word/term may offend some people. Just an FYI :>
    Sorry, guess I'm not politically correct. I'll say my Asian fabric, sure don't want to offend anyone.

  7. #7
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,668
    Blog Entries
    194
    very pretty fabric, thanks for sharing

  8. #8
    Super Member Pam Pollock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Beavercreek, OR
    Posts
    1,381
    I think it looks great just the way it is. Start sewing!!! :D

  9. #9
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter2
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    That's really really pretty! I think white or black would make the flowers pop! Your placement looks great to me.
    Are you saying use white or black background fabric?
    I was referring to the light colored fabric you have around the flower blocks. Just test it out, black may or may not work depending on how dark your flower blocks are. Sometimes when you're looking at a computer screen the colors are not as accurate as they are in real life.

  10. #10
    Super Member quilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter2
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    That's really really pretty! I think white or black would make the flowers pop! Your placement looks great to me.
    Are you saying use white or black background fabric?
    I was referring to the light colored fabric you have around the flower blocks. Just test it out, black may or may not work depending on how dark your flower blocks are. Sometimes when you're looking at a computer screen the colors are not as accurate as they are in real life.
    Thanks, I'll take some black fabric and try it. Cute cat.

  11. #11
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    I like it! I've been trying to figure out what to make with some oriental fabric I bought at a store closing sale. I think I'll do this, too! Is there a particular pattern you used or just "invented"????? Oh, yeah...I like the light background, too.

    BTW -- somewhere, someone suggested trying different layouts and taking digital pics of them to help with placement. I did that with my last big scrappy and found it REALLY helps. Also...I turned them into black and white photos to look for "values".....that might help you decide on the layout here.

  12. #12
    Super Member quilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I like it! I've been trying to figure out what to make with some oriental fabric I bought at a store closing sale. I think I'll do this, too! Is there a particular pattern you used or just "invented"????? Oh, yeah...I like the light background, too.

    BTW -- somewhere, someone suggested trying different layouts and taking digital pics of them to help with placement. I did that with my last big scrappy and found it REALLY helps. Also...I turned them into black and white photos to look for "values".....that might help you decide on the layout here.
    Thanks, the pattern is Slide Show by Atkinson Designs.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Central TX
    Posts
    421
    I think it's perfect just the way it is. Just start sewing.

  14. #14
    Power Poster ann clare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Navan. Co. Meath. Ireland
    Posts
    15,127
    Love it. Have not seen the slide show pattern before.

  15. #15
    Super Member LeeAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    2,071
    I think it's beautiful just as is.

  16. #16
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Looks great as is. As a side note the politically correct term is "Asian" not Oriental. That word/term may offend some people. Just an FYI :>
    Sorry, guess I'm not politically correct. I'll say my Asian fabric, sure don't want to offend anyone.

    I try to keep up, but it's hard. People seem to be easily offended now-a-days!
    :? Only reason I know about this one is that I've got a lot of Asian friends and they don't like the term oriental at all.

  17. #17
    Super Member Fiber Artist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorful Colorado
    Posts
    2,006
    your cream colored fabric in the picture softens every thing nicly.

  18. #18
    Senior Member bronald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kamloops B.C.
    Posts
    316
    Love it! Love it! I really like white or light back grounds.

  19. #19
    Super Member quilter2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,314
    Quote Originally Posted by bronald
    Love it! Love it! I really like white or light back grounds.
    Thanks, I'm still going to make your Wedding Quilt, just looking for the right fabric.

  20. #20
    Junior Member Ladymurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia/Alabama
    Posts
    255
    My understanding from working with Asian children at school is that people are Asian and things are oriental.

  21. #21
    Super Member Rachelcb80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, MS
    Posts
    1,057
    Very pretty fabrics!!!

    Regarding the political correctness of the term "oriental", the fabric companies must not be worried about being PC because these fabrics are most often labled or named "oriental".

  22. #22
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Yeah, I'm just passing on what my buddies complain about;>

  23. #23
    Pineapple Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,187
    I like it!

  24. #24
    Super Member SandyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ludington MI
    Posts
    1,419
    Blog Entries
    12
    This is a a great quilt :D

  25. #25
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love this quilt, the fabrics and the layout too!!!
    Nice Work!!! :D:D:D

    I shop in Asian markets that sell oriental fabrics, bric a brac, rugs, etc... and it is advertised as such. :D:D:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.